SIS IN HOSPITAL

Hi Y'all

Just found out from my nephew that my sis went into the hospital and I am worried. She ended her 2nd round of chemo on Thursday and Friday I talked to her and she sounded terrible. She said she was feeling very nausious and woke up throwing up. I figured I would let her be for a few days and not call her.

My nephew didn't tell me very much as he didn't know very much and he was just leaving the house to go to see her with his brother. He just said that his dad took her yesterday and that she hasn't been able to keep any food down. I'm thinking maybe she is dehydrated and that they also might have to put in a feeding tube. I'm very disturbed right now and of course I only get voicemail when I call cell phones. I am very worried. Anybody else out there have or has this going on?

My Sis had the same situation with extreme nausea. Once admitted to the hospital for rehydration and heavy doses of the anti-nausea meds, she was much better. When your sis gets home again, keep encouraging lots of "mini meals". My sister found that eating often really helped keep the nausea at bay. Sending prayers to your sis (and you too). Ellie

Hi Sis!

Thank you. She says she tries to eat something everyday and she was trying protein drinks and drinks gatorade. At least that's what she told me. However, this 2nd round of chemo did a number on her fer sure. I don't think she is strong enuf for it. :( It's very scary. I will try again in about an hour to try to get hold of somebody so I know what is going on. It's so hard. I Thank you and everybody else for your words of encouragement.

It's hard. You gotta find the right mix of anti-nausea meds and pain meds or things go all to heck. It took us 2 rounds to figure out the right mix to keep her eating, keep the food down, keep the pain at bay, and keep her functioning in the bathroom (you know what I mean). It's a fine line. I hope your sister and her husband are able to find it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Lucyshope--It's so easy to be terrified when you are so far away. I hope you get some good news about your sister soon. In the hospital they have a better chance at getting her stabilized and on a regime she can tolerate. Thinking of you--Susan

ps--keep us posted.

Hi,

Mom was fortunate to have a pretty smooth chemo ride, but I remember her doc saying that if she was nauseated and couldn't eat, that meant something needed to be changed. Hopefully this hospital stay will be a time to get her re-hydrated and stronger again as well as to tweak her medications so they're working better for her.

I'm sure it's terrible for you to be so far away, but I'm sure knowing that you're there for her will help her get through it.

Best of luck to you and 'sis

Jen

I am so sorry your sister is going through this! Nausea is dreadful and my hubby's nurses always told us to stay AHEAD of it and take the anti nausa medication even if he wasn't feeling too bad. It is kind of trial and error to create the delicate balance of diet, medications and hydration in the beginning. As time progresses, patterns will probably be sort of established and you will know more of what to expect. Ohhhh! I hate CANCER! Keep us posted.

Flowergirlie

I hope she's feeling better by now.

My husband's doctor's also told us to stay ahead of the nausea. We now know to start about 5 different meds the day before a new round of chemo, and to continue it for about a week afterwards.

It was a lot of trial and error at first though. I was concerned about giving him so many meds for the same thing, but they said to do it, because they all work differently.

I hope they find a mixture that works for your sister also.

Take care,

Nova

It is sooo hard to be far away from a loved one as they are going through this. You want to do everything to help, and it is ALWAYS on your mind. You must believe, though, that right now she is in the best place to get rehydrated and find out the best meds that work for her. Sending you prayers!

Thank you all so very much!

I did talk to my sis tonite and she told me; "It's about time!" Sheesh. I had called her very early this morning and she couldn't talk so she said she'll call me later. I guess she forgot her cell phone. She said she forgot she couldn't call me from the hospital phone.

She sounded much better and said that she thinks she will be able to go home tomorrow. She also had a blood trasfusion today. I hope so. I am going to fly up this weekend to see her so I will see with my own eyes and ears. Also heard thru the grapevine that her hubby is not feeling well. Great. I'm sure he is exhausted and emotionally spent. He is also not in the best of health. I will try to do my best to assess the situation and hopefully I can be of some help. I think my sis forget that I told her I was coming.

I am glad you got an update finally and that she is feeling better. That will help to put your mind at ease. It is so exhausting to be the caregiver/ spouse physically and emotionally. We are here if your sis or husband need us too. I am sure you will be a tremendous help to both of them while you are there. There are so many simple ways you can help them and alleviate some of the responsibilities that go along with just getting through every day.

Keep us posted.

Peace...Flowergirlie