Sister got results from Doctor

Bev'sSister

My sister went to the Dr. with every expectation of him telling her that she is in remission, but that was not the case. He said there is a very tiny spot, between her lungs, that he wants to get rid of. He told her that he is going to start her on another chemo..not sure of the name..but she said she will only have to get it once a week, and it should not make her as sick. Does anyone know what kind it could be..Any experiences? He is going to go ahead with the PCI. He told her that the PET scan, that she got for free (previous post) probably saved her life. She is kinda disappointed, as we all are, but what can you do, but accept it and keep praying and fighting. Thank Goodness he is an aggressive Doctor.

I know it's not what you expected, but it is a good report and shows that it is being controlled. I would document what the doctor said about the PET scan. You may be able to use this in the future to get them to pay for the PET scan.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. She just called me and said the Dr. told her that her insurance company will not deny her again when he gets through with them. I did find out that the spot is on her medistinal (SP)sternum. Anyone with knowledge or experience with this, please help me out. I would imagine the chemo will be Topecan(spelling?), but she said she didn't ask. She is kind of out of it right now, because her hopes were so high. He said 99% of it is gone and she should be happy, but she is disappointed.

I would be ecstatic at 99% gone for this disease. She is on a fast track to 100% gone. Yeah!!!!!! The Drug I believe is Topotecan. Can nnot offer experience but some one will soon. Congrats and Give Sis a big hug. WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

Hey, that is GREAT news! If there is a little spot, there could be micrometastases floating about, so it is good that she is getting more chemo to zap everything. Don't want them lil' buggers getting another toehold.

Will be waiting to hear more good reports in the future. :)

Welthy

Hi Bobby,

Let me first tell you that your sister is very fortunate to have you.

My husband, see profile, has started Topotecan for his recurrence. He gets a 30 minute drip one time per week for 3 weeks with one week off, then on again for three more weeks. We don't know yet how many cycles. No news yet how it's working but his side effects are minimal compared to last year carbo/etopside, which was brutal. His biggest issue is low blood counts that are corrected with Neupogen and Aranesp.

God be with you both during this ordeal.

Laurie

Hi Bobby! Sorry the results were not what you were all hoping for. I know the tests can be so discouraging. Please let her know that we care and continue to pull for her.

It would be the Topotecan and it is supposed to be much milder in the side effects. The mediastinum is the middle area surrounding the bronchial area centered between your lungs. Keep us posted as you can.

Sending you support and warm thoughts!

Flowergirlie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies. She has started a new chemo (5FU,Taxol and Carboplatin combination). She has it on Wednesdays and so far minimal side effects.(numbness in fingers and fatigue)Today she started radiation and will have 28 radiation treatments. I hope this Dr. knows what he is doing. He is very aggressive.