Appeite on Tarceva

wondermom

I know I have asked this before but is there anything to help increase my mom's appetite? She has lost about 20 pounds since December. She tried the Megace for about a week and just couldn't do it anymore. She said it tasted just aweful and it didn't seem to be helping. Just when things seemed to be getting a little better she started Tarceva and now seems to be getting worse in the appetite department again. :( I hate to see her lose anymore weight.

I don't think it is the Tarceva. It has never bothered me. I would try things that put on weight. To maintain weight during chemo after I lost 4 pounds the first week I ate like a horse. Three breakfasts'. One thing I really liked that adds weight was an English muffin with lots of Almond butter and a little bit of jelly. If you could just get her to snack on things she like all day it might help.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Depression can definately cause appetites to do down (or up).

Before cancer, did she love to eat or did she eat to live? If she loved to eat (like me and my mom), I'd say maybe find out what she does like to eat and if it is something like ice cream shakes or pie just let her eat that to get some weight back on. Not the healthiest, but it will help with weight gain.

My mom was on Tarceva for a very short while, Iressa too. She didn't lose her appetite, but the potty issues could contribute to weight loss.

Will she drink milkshakes? Does she still want to eat? Sometimes during treatment it is so uncomfortable that there is just no desire anymore for eating. If that is the case, you may want to speak to her doctor or a trusted nurse about it. Another thought, is she having the bathroom blues? Could constipation or bloating or excessive gas be an issue? I hope your mom starts to feel better.

Hugs...Flowergirlie

Maurice has been on tarceva & avastin since end of Dec & has no appetite. He's lost about 15 pounds. He has to force himself to eat and can only eat small amounts at a time. I put small snacks beside his chair so that he can nibble every now and then. Not sure which drug is causing low appetite could be either one. The onc seems to think this is all normal but encourages him to try to eat to keep up his weight.

wendyr

I don't know what they did to my wife while she was in the hospital last month, but when she came out she was EATING. She had lost over 20 pounds from Jan to March and I was worried. But in the hospital they started her on a heartburn med called protonix and they switched up a depression med and decided to keep her on decadron. She is eating like a champ these days and just yesterday she said - "boy am I hungry" - HUGE. She hasn't been hungry since she was diagnosed.

Good luck figuring it out and talk to you doctor all the time. I don't think our doc took it very seriously until after she had lost over 20 lbs in 2 months.

Tanner

Magace is a small pill, how can that taste bad? :?

Just take it with water, swallow and there's no taste to it. I took it and it gave me an appetite that wouldn't end. :roll: I took it for hotflashes and it worked like a charm.

I wouldn't get to worried about her appetite just yet. I'm sure she is feeling overwhelmed with all that is going on. I know I was when I went through it. We cancer patients have a lot of bad days going through treatments. Not to mention the treatments can cause us to be sad and moody, and what ever else that comes along.

Is there a cancer group near where your mom lives where she might be able to talk to another cancer patient? It really does help us to talk to someone who has walked this walk before.

Connie,

The Megace my mom was prescribed was a nasty liquid form. When I posed my question on onctalk I was informed there is a pill form of Megace. I have let my mom know about that option so if things don't improve she can try that. Glad to know it worked for you.