My dads cancer is growing agan =(

christymike

I cant even begin to explain what i have been going through lately. Ive tried to stay so positive up until now and it seems that being positive isnt working for me and im slipping in to depression and anger. As you can see from my subject my dad had another broncy on tuesday of last week and found the tumor was active again and growing. Not only that but there was soo much fluid around his heart that they had to do emergency surgery and he was in ICU for 3 days. He got out of the hospital yesterday and the Doctor put him on Iressa (what we have been begging for since day one) any ways the doctor seems to have no hope in the iressa and told my dad that he thinks he had 6 months. I dont understand why chemo is not an option again? And will the iressa work i havent heard any successes. I keep hoping that my dad is different and he will beat this and his cancer is different...but,,i guess you have to have some hope sometimes, but in all reality i dont know what to believe anymore. God Bless you all.

Hi. I am so sorry to read about your Dad's tumour growing again. You mentioned wondering if your Dad is different and will beat this. Of course he is different as he has you loving him and looking out for him. Every case of cancer is SO individual and although doctors like to give you an estimate on how much time someone has left (which I just don't understand) really they don't know how much time your Dad, or anyone has. What about Ian Gawler (well known case in Australia) who the doctors gave only 2 WEEKS and he is alive and cancer free 27 years later. I say always hold on to hope and love as strongly as you can.

I am so sorry to hear the news about your dad. There are many success stories with Iressa and a new list has just been started. See the invitation below from Bev. who is a success story herself:

"You are invited to join a new list - IressaUsers@Yahoogroups.com. Many of you have indicated a desire to share information and you will be able to do this without reservation. Please use the following to become a member of this list: IressaUsers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Bev"

Blessings to you,

Peg

Hi ,

I have been "lurking" on this board for sometime and since I have some good news, I really thought that I should share it with you. My Mom was diagnosed in May Stage IV adenocarcinoma with bone, spine and brain mets. She had 12 radiation treatments to the mets with no treatment to the primary lung tumor which was large, over 8cm. After radiation, her Dr. started her on Iressa although it is usually prescribed as a second or third line treatment. Well she immediately started to feel better. After two months on Iressa-he did a round of Carboplatin-Taxol and now another two months on Iressa. A PET scan last week showed no evidence of Mets and the primary tumor has reduced dramatically. She has had very few side effects-just a little diarrhea. She hasn't even developed a rash. Iressa has been amazing for us so far. I pray that it will be for your father as well.

I am so very sorry to hear about your dad's cancer growing again. I know there are a lot of success stories with Iressa, so I will pray this will be the same for your dad. Did you question the doctor about why they aren't trying another chemo? My mom went through carbo/taxol and upon completion it showed the tumors starting to increase. She is currently on Gemzar/Taxotere. I hope all the best for your dad.

Hi Christy,

I to am sorry to here the tumor is growing but pray that the Iressa will turn it around and start killing it. that is all any of us can do is pray that treatments will find someway to work on our dear loved ones.

I to have heard great stories about Iressa. I pray it is your father's body's favorite treatment to kill all that ugly stuff inside.

There is concern that the fluid around his heart was caused by the cancer, they sent it to the lab and they couldnt find any cancer cells but the doctor wont rule it out yet and said that it may be hiding somewhere. Its amazing because if he didnt have his bronch scheduled for that day they would of never found the fluid on his heart and he wouldnt of made it the next day and none of us would of known what happened. One thing I dont like is the doctor saying well its not curable and we dont have anything for you but we cant try to prolong your life.. it makes me sick to hear that even though it might be the truth but i dont want to believe it. Today he says he is feeling better but some pain and compression in his chest. Im still praying for the iressa but the odds are pretty low. Everything is so hectic lately my grandpa is in the hospital and my grandma had to go yesterday.. i wonder when this will all end and things will get better. Pray for my family if you can it would mean alot. God Bless you all

Christy

Hi

I am sorry to hear that you are all going through such a rough time at the moment. I hate it when the doctors try to give you an estimate on available life left. A book I am reading at the moment advises that one has to accept the diagnosis but the one must REJECT the prognosis. No-one (not even your Dad's doctor) REALLY KNOWS how much time he has left. People DO SURVIVE. Try to focus on that fact and hope that your Dad is one of those people.

I am not religious but I will be sending lots of positive thoughts and energy to you and your Dad. Please let us know how he is going. Hang in there.......