Head Mets and Tranfusions

Sheri

My Dad has a met in his skull. It's not in his brain but attached to the interior cranial wall. He started daily targeted brain radiation Monday morning and today he learned he's two pints shy of a full blood count. He will be transfused Friday with two pints of blood.

For those dealing with SCLC, did you ever experience a blood loss during radiation and were you given an explanation?

Hello Sheri,

I'm so sorry to hear your dad has a recurrence. I have not heard of low blood counts from radiation but with sclc who knows. There seem to be so many surprises. Just when you think things are going well, BANG, another surprise. Prayers will be said for your dad for recovery and to get through his Friday transfusions. I know that when my husband needed transfusions, he hated being there ALL DAY.

Stay strong and keep the faith.

Laurie

Sheri,

I am so sorry to read about your dad. My dad did not have this blood loss...that I remember. I know he had to be transfused once, and for him that was very scary. It worked wonders though, and he felt so much better afterwards.

Blessings to you and dad, Sheri.

God bless,

Jen

Hi Again Sheri,

Just wanted to add, Bill did have blood transfusions during his chemo/radiation last year. He needed 2 units but I'm pretty sure it was from the combination. I do think that if radiation is given in an area where it involves bone marrow, it can compromise the blood counts, WBC, RBC and platelets. I was told that the big bones involve more bone marrow than others. Now that I think of it, the Radiation Onc told us, spine, pelvis and skull, I think. Have you questioned the Radiation Onc about it? Good luck tomorrow.

Laurie

Sheri,

Alan has had radiation 3 different times. His Dr was always checking his blood counts to be sure they stayed with in normal limits. Alan did not need

transfusions due to radiaiton alone, but his Dr. did

keep a very close eye on his counts, so it is probably possible radiation caused dimissed red blood cells with your Dad