Itching

Donna Gillespie

I was diagnosed with small cell Lung cancer which had already spead to the brain, abdomen, pelvis and bone in May of this year. I took 10 radiation treatmenet and then started on Chemo. The medication I am on is Etoposide (VP-16) and Carbo (Paraplatin). I also take dilantin because I had a seisure.

Sometime in May I developed this itchy spot on the outside of my right thigh. I went to the dermatologist he prescribed ointments and lotions, took a scraping for fungus. Nothing he prescribed worked and not the itch is from my waist down to my knees, back and front. Sometimes it is not to back and other times it is so bad I just cry and want to claw at my legs. I just wondered if anyone else has had a problem like this. This has been the worst part of having cancer.

Hope someone can help.

Welcome I sure hope someone can help you. I took Cisplatin, I got neuropathy from it but never got an itch or rash. Not sure about the other drug you are taking. Have you looked at

http://www.chemocare.com perhaps they have info that would help. Keep us posted . Donna G..... PS Now we have at least 3 Donna G's

I am sorry for what you are experiencing. My mom has non-small cell lung cancer. During the end of her treatment of carbo/taxol, she developed a bad rash and itching under her arms and chest area. Her oncologist felt it was a yeast infection and not related to her cancer. My mom used OTC medications and eventually it subsided. Not sure if this helps you or not. I know the itching drove my mom crazy. Take care.

Hi,

My Mother had a similar problem but there are a couple of different schools of thought that we were given - one was an allergic reaction to the medicine and another was it may be a yeast infection of some type. The rash disappeared within a few days because it was on her last day of chemo that it appeared. There may be other reasons as well but thought we would tell you our scenario. She had been on the same chemo meds for six months. You should definetly seek out some other opinions.

Take care,

Botley

Hello! I wanted to respond because this happened to my husband too and they told him it was caused my irritated nerve endings just under the skin caused by the chemo..almost like shingles. There wasn't anything they could do except a painkiller and hoped that after chemo the reaction would go away, of course everyone is different and I am sure your doctor will find the cause and hopefully find you some relief. Take care! Kim

Hi,

I had some wierd itching in the arm post surgery ( also post chemo ) and the doctor had indicated he was willing to try neurontin if it got too bad, because he thought the itching had to do with nerve endings also.

Hope you can stop it -- my last pregnancy I itched all over BADLY for about 3-5 weeks and there was nothing could be done. It's enough to make one crazy, the itching.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Otherwise I'd recommend something with an analgesic in it, like lanacaine for sunburn? Just a thought.

MaryAnn

XOXOX