Here we go again...

beckyg

With my local oncologist's help, I now have an appointment at MD Anderson for a consultation and cosideration for clinical trials. It took a while to get to this point, but now that they have the background information on me that they wanted, I am scheduled for next Wednesday. I am hopeful that something good will come of this. It has been nice being on Iressa and being stabel for a while, btu I am ready for another round of something more aggressive.

In other news, I finally spoke to a human at the RFA Lung Clinic. It seems that the reason the doctor hasn't commented on my CT scans is that he deosn't have them. Perhaps they were lost in the mail. I said that was not possible since my husband hand delivered them to a receptionist in the office. After some time on hold, I was told that receptionist thought my name sounded familiar and that she was pretty sure she handed those scans to the doctor personally. He doesn't remember that but promised to look at home. You'd think that the office of a doctor who does surgery on heart and lung patients al lthe time would be so used to dealing with films that this stuff wouldn't be a problem. Grr. I can get more copies of those films (at my cost of course), but this is really getting annoying. No response on why they didn't call me back last week to tell me that they can't comment on RFA for me because they can't find the films.

Becky

Becky,

When you mentioned the CT scan were you talking about the ones of your ribs? You mentioned that they were hurting you. My ribs etc. hurt from time to time too. right now I'm dealing with some neck/gland issues but I also have a sinus infection and some sort of ear infection. I hate this disease..... I'm filled with fear and worry about having more tests and yet I'm filled with worry and fear of not having them.

Keep us posted...

Tami,

The CT scans I mentioned are just typical CT scans of my chest looking for shrinkage of my tumor. I had a bone scan last week to check on my rib pain. The doctor thinks (after the bone scan) that my pain is muscular--maybe I started hurting after surgery in February and have been altering my posture since then and it has now reached a point that it is really bothering me. Believable since my Dad pointned out ot me last week that I am lopsided--when I stand these days, my right shoulder (the side that hurts) is noticeably lower than the left.

Hang in there--we're all scared of having tests and of not having tests.

Becky

Becky,

I can relate to what you've been dealing with. I now assume that this kind of thing will happen, so I actually plan accordingly (I now purchase multiple copies of the scan films. It's expensive, I shouldn't have to do it, but there it is. I just have to deal with it.)

I've been Faxing my concerns/questions to the Doctors' offices instead of calling and leaving messages with clerical or Nursing staff. (I also send FAXes detailing conversations I've had with Nurses and clerical staff, in the event that the doc wants to know what I really said. :roll: ) Since I started doing this I receive return calls/responses on a timely basis. Just a suggestion.

I'm excited for you about your appointment at MDA.... they just have to have something for you.

Best Wishes,

Fay A.

Becky,

I worked for a doctor in a previous life (a mere three years ago). WE, the office staff, were expected to know where EVERY file was.... One came up missing and the ENTIRE office was searched for it... Doc's wife (his "Business Manager") asked if he had looked in his car - nope, it wasn't in his car, but there were FIVE other files in the car! The missing file? Eventually found in his HOME office! Of course, HE had no clue how it got there....

My issue was the chewing out the office staff received because WE had "misplaced" a patient's file and that was unforgiveable - yet not only did HE have the missing file, he had FIVE OTHERS out of the office - FULL FILES, confidential information (he was a neuropsychologist - VERY personal information)... His policy was "patient confidentiality was utmost, you girls lock the files before you go home at night, etc." and he didn't follow it! I'm sure he's not the only one....

Funny how some doctors can be so wonderful and others so pathetic - blaming office staff, nurses, etc. for their errors....OR those doctors that are adequate and have lousy staff (my oncologist has a pretty good office, but there's ONE "receptionist" that is horrible...). Go figure!

Good luck to you in Houston! Take some pebbles to make a path to follow back - there are those that will eat your bread crumbs like little birds... :wink:

Becky