Deficiency In A Certain Enzyme Delays Onset And Severity Of

Lung Cancer In Mice

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 131249.htm

Deficiency In A Certain Enzyme Delays Onset And Severity Of Lung Cancer In Mice

Science Daily — Geranylgeranyltransferase type I (GGTase-I) has been suggested as a drug target in the treatment of cancer and a host of other diseases. Several inhibitors of GGTase-I (GGTIs) have been synthesized and tested. However, different GGTIs have had very different properties, and a clear picture of the impact of GGTase-I deficiency and GGTI treatment has not yet emerged. Now, in a study appearing in the May 1st issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation, Martin Bergo and colleagues from Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Sweden describe the impact of GGTase-I deficiency in mammalian cells.

New Lung Cancer Treatment

Get New Lung Cancer Treatment Info from 14 Search Engines in 1.

info.com/NewLungCancerTreatment

Barrett's Esophagus

Learn more about possible treatment options.

www.barrx.com

Track Your Oxygen Levels

Measure Blood-Oxygen Levels With Same Unit Used In Doctor's Offices!

www.portablenebs.com

Asbestos Disease

Find Business Near You. The Web's Local Search Engine!

www.local.com

The Krongrad Institute

US longest running program for lap Prostate Cancer Treatment

www.laprp.com

The authors found that, in mice, loss of the gene encoding GGTase-I in cells that would normally produce lung tumors driven by the oncogene K-RAS, resulted in delayed onset and decreased severity of lung cancer in these animals. The findings suggest that, if these results hold true in humans, then inhibiting GGTase-I may be a useful strategy to treat K-RAS--induced malignancies.

In an accompanying commentary, Mark Philips and Adrienne Cox from New York University School of Medicine explore the actions of GGTAse-I and conclude that this new mouse model of disease is likely to be an invaluable tool in assessing the role of GGTase-I in oncogenesis.

Article: GGTase-I deficiency reduces tumor formation and improves survival in mice with K-RAS--induced lung cancer

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by Journal of Clinical Investigation.