Taxotere or Alimta?

Tanner

Karen wants to continue to fight. I'm with her all the way. Our choices for 3rd line are Alimta or Taxotere.

Anyone got information about side effects that they could share with us? We just don't know what to do. A part of us says Kill It!! NOW!! But then again, I don't think either of us want to spend what could potentially be that last days feeling sick from the chemo. Do I make any sense?

If ya'll could share your experiences with either of these meds, we'd be thrilled.

Thanks - Tanner

Tanner,

Do you know if Karen actually got the Avastin or did she get the placebo? If she did not get the Avastin, then this is still an option. I believe that Avastin can be given without it being part of a trial.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Tanner,

I have been on taxotere since march. I do it one day for 2 weeks then a week off. I have had no side effects until this week. My nails are really bothering me but it is not something that I would ever give up treatment for. I was also told that I would lose all my hair again. It had just started to grow back from the carbo/taxol that I was on before. So far I have proven the doctor wrong again because my hair did thin a little but I still have most of what had grown back.

My doctor told me that taxotere is similar to the taxol that I was before. I have not had Alimta so have no clue about side effects for that chemo. I know everyone is different and how they tolerate one chemo and not another. My doctor told me that if I did have problems there was always another one we could try. I did have major problems with Gemzar but have heard others say they had no problems. I would say pick one and if she has problems go back to the doctor and asked to be switched to something else.

Hope this helps

Sherry

Hi Tanner,

Taxol was really terrible for me. Taxotere was much easier but did get worse with the later treatments. I'd definitely say give the Taxotere a try and, if Karen received the placebo, you could add Avastin to it.

Good luck. I'm pulling for you guys.

Trish

I just want to give you as many options as possible and if you go to the top of this page and click on

SEARCH you can type in Alimta or Taxotere or whatever other drug you want and you will be able to do a search and retrieve many many many posts of that very same subject from other members as well over the years or months.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Tanner,

Taxotere/gemzar (see profile) worked very well for Tony. After 12 cycles it was the pits. Purple and thick nails, severe fatigue, mouth sores (easily handled with B50, biotene, and Nystatin suspension.)

He is now on Alimta and it hasn't been a picnic. A lot of fatigue and increased SOB. He has also developed a cough, so we don't know if the SOB and cough are cancer progression or Alimta side-effects. (It can cause SOB in some people.) -- I forgot to say that most people handle Alimta very well.

It's a crap shoot how Karen will feel. There is always Navelbine. It was good for 19 weeks and very easy.

Best of luck in your decision.

Welthy

John had both of these chemos. The taxotere did not work for him and he stopped before the last cycle. The side effects were problems with the nails and bad muscle aches. The Alimta worked well and Avastin was added to it. Alimta caused extreme fatique. They added Avastin to it towards the end and now he is on Avastin only.

I echo Ernie in going with the Avastin. It is a quick infusion and has virtually no side effects for John. If you want her to have treatment without being sick this is the drug you want.

We had this choice and went for alimta. We were told there was no hair loss and the blood counts were less likely to be affected. Also that other side effects where less. This was given with avastin and there was significant shrinkage.

Jennie

We don't know for sure, but we believe that Karen was getting the Avastin - because she had all the side effects associated with it, including the blood clots. But we will ask our onc tomorrow about that. Thanks for all your input. We appriciate it.

Tanner

My mom was on the alimta that really helped her. The side effects were not horrible. She is on the Gemzar now which she is not tolerating very much. My mom just got scans back and I am confused. I just read in your history that you had the same thing happen so maybe you can help. My mom's CAT scan came back and it showed that everything stayed the same or slightly grew and she has two more enlarged lymph nodes but the PET scan looks great. We go to the doctor tomorrow. If it is bad news I don't know if she will continue with chemo. Hopefully she will because I guess it is working if the PET scan looks good.