Hepl me out here folks!! Not an emergency though

RandyW

Help I have this bug in my head after Teds special last nite. Got this great idea for a book to publish maybe!?!?!? Chicken Soup for the Lung Cancer Soul. There is already a Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer soul.

We have so many stories to share here of Love, Compassion, Pain, Sorrow, Hope, faith, strength, and Life good and bad experiences with this disease. We have many great minds and Eloquent writers here as evident in their posts, full of Passion and Conviction.

Check out this Link; tell me your thoughts, suggestions, advice, ways to proceed; if I should proceed.

http://www.chickensoup.com/

Then Click on Possible books on the left side column and you will see what I am talking about

Help me please with this voice in my head. I feel that we could put something together, but I just do not know where to start or even if I should start.

All input is very much appreciated :)

I think that's a great idea.

I'll help in any way I can, whenever you get started.

Teri, from here on the Board, seems to be an excellent "putter-together of words"!! :) , so maybe she would be interested also....?

I knew NOTHING about lung cancer a few months ago...until Harry was diagnosed with it. It would have been nice for me to be able to purchase a book that had life stories and experiences in it.... I think it would be a source of comfort to a LOT of people.

Take care,

Nova

Randy,

LOVE the idea!!!!!!! My mom and I were just reflecting on some funny heartwarming things that have happened with our family since Lung Cancer came into our lives and we were saying that we should write a book. I will help in anyway I can. When the kiddies are quiet, I'll check out the website.

Tammy

I've glanced ( too much stuff there ) through the web site and have seen more chicken soup books then I can count. Why not one for lung cancer. There are, unfortantly, way too many people diagnoiused each year. Far more then the "ones that love a cat that has a dog that rides a surf board". I say go for it. We can all put in a story and donate any proceedes to research. We do have a lot to share with the world.

Randy, you are one of our brightest stars here. I would be honored for you to lead this crusade. As far as how to proceede? Just do it!! I'm going to start planning my story. Hugs, Liz

Hi Randy,

That bug in your head is telling you that you NEED to do this. Start it and keep us all posted in how we can help. Not only would it help those in need, it would raise awareness and instill some reality about the disease and those affected. Go for it!

Randy,

I think if you are talking about stories that would benefit people like we have here on this web site, you have to think about two books. One for caregivers, those that have lost loved ones to cancer and one about survivors, for people newly diagnosed and that are trying to beat cancer.

As a cancer survivor and one that continues to fight it, I am not interested in reading about how one has handled the loss of a loved one. I want to read about those that are beating this disease. As you may or may not know it is my goal to tell as many people as possible that have cancer that they should go for the treatment and not listen to all the bad forecasts about how sick they will get or that they will only live 18 months anyway, so what difference does it make? I often thought about stories that all end at a certain time, like 3 or 4 years. This would be stories about people living a good life after 4 years. We don’t have to know their entire life to realize that getting treatment was the right thing do. The book could include people that are having a good life with less than 4 years. Mainly the book should contain people who are survivors, but not go beyond a certain date, weather it be 4, 3, or 2 years. There are many people that give up early, but if they could be convinced that they could have 4 years of a good life, it could change their whole outlook.

I know that people like you may want to know how others are handling their loss of a loved one that is why I suggest two separate books. There are forums on here that I don’t even go to. This may be a little selfish on my part, but I just want to do all I can to stay positive.

I don’t know if this is the answer you are looking for. I may be the only one that feels this way, but that’s me.

If I can help any way on the one book let me know.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Randy,

An idea that I have is to have a section on this web site that would only contain stories like I have mentioned. The MY STORY we have is good, but there are some stories there that are not as uplifting as others. We would need one that an administrator would have to approve each story for that forum. I don’t know if that is possible. This way we can give people the web address that will take them to a forum that contains only stories like the ones that I mentioned before. We would then get more people to the web site where they can find the hope that they are looking for. I give the address to my story to people that are looking to hear what the lord has done in my life. People have given it to other people. I get a lot of email from people that have seen my story and want more information. I have over a hundred people that I email. Lots of these people have visited my story here on this web site as well as the Lance Armstrong web site. If someone finds a story that they think will help a friend or a loved one, they spread the word around. I am amazed at how many people contact me because they have read my story on this web site. I don’t know how many may register. I just pray that I can keep up with all the correspondence. There could be another forum that deals with just caregivers. We may already have that. I don’t know because this is one of the forums that I avoid. Let me know what you think.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Randy,

I think both sides of the fence should be included, as long as the stories are uplifting. Many, many courageous people are no longer here, but their stories are nonetheless inspiring. Inspiring what? People going through treatment to never give up and wring every drop out of life they possibly can.

I proposed a "Life's Little Instruction Book" for cancer survivors but never heard back from the author. If you receive interest, let me know. I'll help clean up grammatical issues in submissions.

There are, after all, two definitions for "Survivors" - those who have walked through the fire and come out the other side and those who were left behind when someone walked into the light. Hope should be offered to all.

Great Idea Randy. I searched and searched for a "lung cancer" chickensoup book when first diagnosed. I was searching for stories of hope and survival.

I gave up, concluding that obviously LC survivors were not living long enough to write such a book. :)

You bet, chicken soup for everyone else, why not us?

We are all survivors and share the pain of this crummy disease, but from different perspectives I think.

Maybe we need two books, one for healing from the loss of loved one, and another filled with stories of miracle recoveries and hope.

Just a thought. Barb

I think the book is a great idea and would be happy to help with the project, but not sure how to get started either.

As far as what to include, maybe we could look at the Breast Cancer book and see how it was handled in there. Not saying we should just copy that, but maybe there was a good way it was handled. Divided into two sections, somehow otherwise combined, not combined at all? It would give us some ideas at least.

Randy,

God bless you for always thinking of creative ways to tell the world about lung cancer. I think it's a wonderful idea and, as others have said, I'll be glad to help in any way possible.

Lung cancer presents itself in many different ways and ALL stories should be considered inspiring, whatever the outcomes. To omit people because of an outcome, would be a slap in the face to the memory of those who have fought so valiantly. To ignore fighters who haven't achieved a certain number of years, would be equally offensive. And yes, people who choose no treatment are an equal part of the total lung cancer picture and have their own valuable stories.

There are many facets of this disease and a blended approach would honor all involved in this journey. Everyone deserves to share the stories of their part in this fight no matter whether they are on the journey or for loved ones, if the journey has ended. Hope is found in EVERY aspect -- sometimes hope for the cure and sometimes for little everyday triumphs! A realistic, well-rounded depiction benefits anyone confronting this disease.

Chapter divisions (for actual LC types and Stages and different "journey" stages) would certainly accommodate everyone.

Thanks again Randy! :D

I agree with all the rest that this is a GREAT idea!! I love to write but always need some help in the editing and keeping my tense in line! LOL My friends who read my blogs propose my writting a book about being the adult child. I like THIS idea even better!

Please, let us know what you find out!!

Randy,

This book is an incredible idea. The first thing I did when my mom was diagnosised was look for a book. A book to give us hope and renewed faith. I am sure all can agree that attitude has a very important place in the fight of this disease. Hearing uplifting stories from others who have walked this path helps in so many ways.

I believe it would need to include stories from all who have been touched by this disease regardless of where you are along the journey.

I didn't choose this journey, and sure wish I could get off, but I know I benefit from hearing all of your stories and advise, no matter where you are along the path!!!

Let me know if you need any help, I would love to be involved!!!

Dana

Randy ,

My idea of two books was not to not honor those that fought a good fight and then lost to this horrible disease. I just know that when I was told my prognoses that I was interested in reading about people who fought and survived. My idea is for one of the books to give hope to that person just diagnosed with stag IV cancer and has no hope. It’s true that I am able to read some of the other stories now, but they would have devastated me when I was first diagnosed. There are plenty of survivors to make a book that will give them hope. I try to get more people to get the treatment that will help them and keep a positive attitude at the same time. It is true that some have chosen no treatment, but is that the best? All I can say is that if you do a book that is for newly diagnosed people think about every thing that goes into it and ask yourself how would this make me feel if I was just told that I have stage IV cancer and there is no cure and will this help them the most. I have been there and I know how I felt. I was very fortunate in that I have a strong belief in my God and He can heal if he wants to and if he chooses not to that there is a better place. I still like reading the most positive things that I can.

I hope I did not upset too many people, but I can only speak for myself.

We have two groups’ caregivers and survivors. Their needs are not the same, but closely related. Caregivers in a lot of ways have a harder time than survivors, but survivors do not have to read about the caregiver’s problems and hurts when they have just been diagnosed.

Randy it’s a good idea, but one book may not please all. There is always a choice you don’t have to read it or recommend it if you feel that it won’t help the person that you are concerned about...

Stay positive,

Ernie

...and sometimes, it's good to see the view from the other side of the fence. My husband wouldn't tell me what was bothering him and I didn't tell him what was bothering me. We both felt the other had enough to worry about and THAT blocks the empathy.

Reading Norme's words about how much it hurt her to see Buddy going through what he was, Ginny's chapters on the Duke - new perspective. The caregiver/s go through quite a bit, not being able to make it all better. I think instead of the separation of type, etc., maybe the book should be separated into "How to survive diagnosis" and stories from each side; "How to survive treatments" and stories from each side; "Deciding when there's been enough treatment" and why that decision was made, etc.

Both sides need to be presented, both sets of stories need to be heard. Hope from all angles...

...and although I opted for treatment, I wouldn't judge someone who chose no treatment as uninformed or hopeless. DeanCarl was not a lost cause, he had reasons for his choice and I respect him for that. He wanted quality of life and lived it to the end on his terms. How can that be hopeless?

It ALL needs to be in there, there is inspiration in all choices. People who opt for no treatment are not fighters any less, just on different terms. Dignity, simple dignity...

It ain't all sunshine and roses, so pass out the umbrellas and watch the flowers soak in all that life-giving water. Here's to spring!

Here is what they have already done with Breast Cancer Book

Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor's Soul

Stories to Inspire, Support and Heal

New Chicken Soup

Read an Excerpt

Previous Item

Next Item

Back to Category

Print this Page

E-mail this page Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and Mary Olsen Kelly

Your support group in a book, filled with boundless strength and profound hope - until the fight is won.

Along with the shock, fear and loss many women face upon a breast cancer diagnosis comes unexpected strength, wisdom, and strong networks of sharing, support and healing. In Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor's Soul, survivors and their family members talk openly about how difficult their fight with breast cancer has been and how they made it through the dark times with a belief in a higher power and the support of those closest to them.

Find strength in the encouraging stories of how family members confront their fears and show genuine affection for one another through gestures such as a granddaughter cutting the hair off of all her dolls so that they will look more like her grandma, who is bald from chemotherapy, and the gentle touch of a three-year-old son on his mother's back giving comfort to his sick mommy, and a husband who shows his wife the depth of his love during a weekend getaway after she heals from a total mastectomy.

Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivors Soul will show you the beautiful side of the human spirit and spark the optimism sometimes lost in the mist of an illness. It is for everyone with breast cancer and everyone who loves someone touched by the disease.

ISBN/Code Format Retail Price Your Price

0757305210 Quality Paperback $14.95 $10.45

Quantity: