Cathy's daughter Posted May 8, 2007 Share Posted May 8, 2007 My mom, age 57, was diagnosed last July with Stage IA Squamous cell, tumor size 1.6 cm. She had a left lower lobectcomy and has done well. No oncology consult, no chemo/radiation. She had a chronic cough which led the surgeon to order a CT scan in January which showed a 4 mm mass. He did a follow-up CT 12 weeks later (end of April) which showed change to 6-mm, no big deal, but showed "multiple new areas on left, 1-cm in diameter in size and smaller, worrisome for metastatic disease." Her surgeon said too small for PET, wait and do another CT in 10 weeks. My aunt is a chemo nurse and said no way, and the oncologist she works for agreed, and has ordered a PET on May 18 and he will see mom on May 29. Also, the cough is better, they took her off her ACE inhibitor and that seems to have worked. Anyone have experience with 1 cm being too small for PET? Her surgeon said that even if the PET was positive, he would be hesitant to go back in with surgery at 1cm. He is taking a very conservative approach, and the oncologist seems to be very aggressive. I'm at a loss for who is right? Any and all advice appreciated. Lisa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.