Choices, not Quitting

I feel like I've been a ghost lately--Mom's still in the hospital, and we've been hit with a lot lately. I think about you all constantly, and you are in my prayers.

An MRI last week showed five new lesions, scattered throughout Mom's brain. She can't do Gamma and, for her own reasons, refuses to do WBR at this stage. We have been very clear that we support her in her decisions, whatever they are.

If/ when Mom leaves the hospital, she will begin hospice care immediately. I have heard such wonderful things about hospice, and I know they will manage her pain for her.

No crystal balls, but the drs are saying weeks, maybe less. I just want quality for her right now---we've had quantity. The drs originally gave her 12-18 months to live, and she has given us 26 months---most of those good months. She amazes me.

We've emphasized to her that she is NOT giving up--she is simply chosing something else. I'm thankful that she is lucid enough to make these decisions. She has had very little control over what has happened in her body these last two years--she does have control over these choices.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't heartbroken and absolutely terrified. My mom has been amazingly strong for my brothers and me all our lives, and it is time for us to do the same for her. Please pray for us--I'll try to update as time goes by. Love to you all.

Kelly

Kelly,

I keep typing and erasing because I know how difficult all this must be for you. There is just no words that seem appropriate. I'm so sorry that it is time for hospice to enter your lives. I'm thinking of all of you and saying a prayer for peace and strength for you, your Mom and family.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Kelly,

This is hard. I have been a part of your journey the whole way (since you came here). I've always been amazed at how well she has done in spite of all the setbacks. She has been an inspiration and continues to be an inspiration!!! I'm praying for her and you and your whole family. I know how tough this is for you. We are here for you. I've not been very active lately, but I continue to read and pray. Take care.

(((Kelly))),

You AND Bev have been amazing examples of how to deal with this terrible disease. I am glad she can make these decisions......hard to accept though they are. I remember Bev answering to the setbacks she has received......and though it may be differenet this time......my hope will not cease that she can share more quality time with her family.

Much support, Kelly, and love too.

Kasey

Kelly, no words - can't find them. Your dear Mother and your whole family's approach to this dreadful disease is very inspiring. The love and respect you show for each other is amazing.

I will remember you all in my prayers. I wish you laughter with your tears. Cherish each minute.

OH Kelly. I am so sorry to read your post. I have followed your mom's story since I joined LCSC. Please know you have my prayers, of course, and please know that God is watching out for your mom, with his arms wrapped around her through all of this. Your's too!

Bless you,

Jen

Kelly: Sending prayers and good wishes over the internet highway and also zooming one down the Oklahoma Turnpike. I, of course, have followed along with your moms story and I must say the two of you have amazed me. Thinking of you in a special way and saying an extra special prayer for your mom.

Kelly,

I'm so sorry about your mom. I know how it feels when they say that's it. My dad said he's not doing anything else after he completes his WBR. How scary that sounds. I guess we do have to let them make their own decissions. He promised he wasn't giving up too and I wondered, How can you say your not giving up but you're also not doing anything else? It didn't really make sense until I read your post. Your mom has surprised the doctors thus far and I pray she continues to surprise them and you have some more quality time. Hang in there.

Kelly,

I am just heartbroken to read your post. I'm sorry you guys are at this point, but I'm so glad that your Mom has been so empowered in her decision-making.

I hope you know that there are many of us who have been down this road who are here to lean on. I'm one, and I'm here anytime.

love,

Val

Kelly,

I'm too new to all of this to know any "wise words of comfort"-- other then what my heart tells me, which is that I don't blame you at all for being scared and very sad...

Please know I'm thinking of you and saying a prayer for comfort for your mom.

Nova

Dear Kelly,

May you find peace with your Mom during this time. Your family sounds like it has an amazing "strength" and so much love to help carry you through this time.

I know it takes courage to let Mom make these final decisions, and I admire you for allowing her that. Sometimes as caregivers, we become so consumed with "keeping our loved ones with us" that we forget that they have a choice in this too. I am sure your Mom appreciateds you standing back and allowing her to make her choice, and supporting her through it. May God bless you all and make this time pass gently. Love, Sharon