More pink ribbons ... I want to cry

TracyD

I just opened todays newspaper, The Boston Globe, and a pretty pink flyer fell out. Apparently, in order to "honor all the women in our lives" on Mother's Day, my newspaper is going to donate 25 cents from every paper sold on Mother's Day to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

I am so mad and sad and frustrated and bitter, I just want to scream! I am deflated. Why couldn't they just donate money to a foundation which is looking for a cure for any and all cancers? What makes breast cancer so sacred? Why couldn't I have gotten that? At least then everyone would rally around me and throw lots of fundraisers to find me a cure.

Do I cancel my subscription? It's the only decent paper around (although, I find it be a bit left leaning for my taste). Will an angry email do any good?

Tracy

Tracy,

I agree with Rochelle. The PINK gets so much attention and those that rally behind it are considered the GOOD guys. I think we need to educate people, one person at a time. And I agree, I think maybe a good idea would be a humongous pool of $$$$$ that just researches cancer, all cancers. I am sure there are some off the wall cancers that affect very few people and this might be a way for them to get some help also.

I often feel torn. My first allegiance is to raise funds and raise awareness of lung cancer - it has affected my life more than any other disease. But my sister had bc and my very good friend had bc, and now our dear Geri. I just wish we could find a Susan G Komen for lc, what miracles that could do.

Tracy--I know it's hard but why not focus on what you can do for lung cancer. Last year you did a fantastic job raising money for the Boston Walk for lung cancer research which you should be very proud of I know I am proud of (and to do it while battling lung cancer I have a lot of respect for you) you. It does not bother me that breast cancer is doing a great job, they have been at it a long time and have a bigger pool to work with. There not the only ones--look at what Lance Armstrong, how far AIDS has come and what Michael J. Fox is doing with Parkinson's disease. Lung Cancer is making strides since I was first diagnosed and yes there is a long way to go. LUNGevity is a great organization for those who want to get involved and make a differences as well as others organizations. We (the lung cancer community as a whole needs to step up to the plate) and keep plugging away. Together we can make a difference! Hope this helps, prayers fro the best.

Rich

I like the idea of a letter to the editor.

On an episode of ER recently, I saw something that reminded me of us. A woman with ovarian cancer was saying that everything is pink and that ovarian cancer doesn't even have a real color--it is teal, not blue, not green she said. I am sure a lot of people with other cancers are also frustrated with all the attention pink gets.

I personally support pink and clear and all cancers as I know people who have passed from a few different kinds. I just think in general though LC needs the most attention right now b/c it is such a common cancer.

I share your frustration on the pink issue and I agree with Rochelle, a heartfelt letter stating your case maybe far more effective than anything else.......a tug on the heart strings kind of letter may well get their attention.

In the meantime go on being the wonderful advocate of clear that you are, one day we'll be as well known as pink and who knows what benefit all the bc research will be for the rest of the cancers.

Take care

Geri

Tracy,

I agree with the others. I think a strong letter to the editor is in order. You could start by stating your background and yes, BRAG a little about all that YOU have done to raise the awareness of lung cancer.

I certainly do not mean to downplay the importance of ANY cancer research. However, other than PINK for BC, how many people could identify all of the other cancer colors? Keep that fighting attitude!!! Ellie

I was actually just going to post something about this. I had a meeting with my Relay for Life team and our captain just started working for the American Cancer Society. I asked her how the Susan Kohlman Foundation got so big and so succesful and why can't we do that for Lung Cancer. She didn't really have an answer for me but she did acknowledge that the clear ribbon does not get much attention. How do we get a Foundation for lung cancer that is as successful as the Foundation for breast cancer? I wish I could create something that successful. I wish I knew how they did it. I definatly understand your frustration. I am not upset that breast cancer research has been so well funded but I am upset that all cancers aren't funded equally. It just plain doesn't make sense.

Tracy,

Maybe we should ALL write a letter to the editor of that Newspaer and let them know that Breast cancer isn't the ONLY cancer that kills thousands of women.

I Just give me the name of the paper and I'll be more then happy to share my story in short term.

Anyone else want to join me?? We need to teach the world that we are here and that we also suffer from cancer. Not to mention all the other cancer survivors in this world. :roll::wink:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My mom was diagnosed with stage IV lc oct.2006 and passed away jan 7th 07...2 1/2 months from beginning to end....I did every research I could think of, every doc. visit, chemo, radiation etc..with my mom....My mom was always sick with one thing or another tons of x-rays done etc... I was like how did this happen and not seen earleir....I found out...LC is the # 1 killer of all cancers combined.....most goes undected until its found in later stages...because it does not always show up in a xray or even a cat scan....alot of times its found through a petscan because insurances wont cover a petscan unless they detect something.....but mamagrams are done all the time, and alot of places will do mamagrams free.....mamagrams have saved so many people....wht dont they do yearly petscans if it means they could save so many people.....

It may have been too late for my mom, but trying to find out these answers I fell like I'm fighting for my mom or standing up for her......

Thanks, Laura ( sorry for the ranting)

Sadly enough, Welcome to the World Of Lung Cancer! The Lungevity Foundation is a good place to start if want to learn more and advocate for those of us lung cancer survivors that are unable to anymore. Check out www.LUNGevity.org . It's a great Foundation working to help in the Research area and the Patient/Caregiver Support end of Lung Cancer.

Many of the people here at LCSC have been around a very long time and will be able to share the ins and outs of lung cancer awareness with you. First off, November IS LUNG CANCER AWEARNESS MONTH!

I'm not sure what State your in, but 25 States have porclamed November Lung Cancer Awareness Month. See if yours has, then Email or Call your News and Radio Stations and share this News with them. When you learn more about this journey, you'll be better able to educate others on it. We're here to help you the best we can.

I'm sorry you lost your mother to this beast. I too lost my dad, mom and sister from it, and now I am a lc survivor.

"jnl1215"]My mom was diagnosed with stage IV lc oct.2006 and passed away jan 7th 07...2 1/2 months from beginning to end....I did every research I could think of, every doc. visit, chemo, radiation etc..with my mom....My mom was always sick with one thing or another tons of x-rays done etc... I was like how did this happen and not seen earleir....I found out...LC is the # 1 killer of all cancers combined.....most goes undected until its found in later stages...because it does not always show up in a xray or even a cat scan....alot of times its found through a petscan because insurances wont cover a petscan unless they detect something.....but mamagrams are done all the time, and alot of places will do mamagrams free.....mamagrams have saved so many people....wht dont they do yearly petscans if it means they could save so many people.....

It may have been too late for my mom, but trying to find out these answers I fell like I'm fighting for my mom or standing up for her......

Thanks, Laura ( sorry for the ranting)