Pretty good news today!

Nova

Harry got the results of his newest scan and MRI this morning. His head is still empty!--(no signs of cancer having spread there), and the main tumor has shrunk almost 60% in size.

That's not quite as good as what they told us to expect with the first round of chemo, but it's sure a lot better then it not having shrunk at all, so we'll take it!

They've also changed his chemo for next time. He'll still be getting the type that makes your hair fall out,(etopicide)....(sp?) but they've changed the other one to "Car-something",(I have to look it up)-- so he shouldn't get quite as sick with it.

He's had so much trouble with nausea, that they finally contacted the dumb doctor that had ordered the IV antibiotics while he was in the hospital, and lo and behold, she had forgotten all about him, didn't remember ordering the stupid medicine to begin with, and he could have been taken off of it about 2 weeks ago... all that throwing up for nothing.... I wanted to wring her neck.

Because he's been on that for so long, and nauseated for so long, it's casuing his kidney's to mess up a little, but they think that will straighten out once the antibiotics get out of his system. It has also caused more fluid to build up around his bad lung, but then again, they think that will get a little better too.

He gets another 3 week vacation from chemo, so he can try and gain a little weight back, and get some strength built back up.

So, all in all, it wasn't as good as I had hoped for, but not as bad as it could have been either, so we're thankful!

Thank you all for the prayers!

Nova

Hi Nova,

Will Harry be getting Carboplatin? It's alot easier then the Cisplatin and the jury is still out on if it is less effective or comparable. My Dad did really good through this chemo. Yes he lost his beautiful blonde locks but never had any nausea. Good to hear about the shrinkage. I wish Harry continued success!

Hi Nova,

First off, love the picture!

I'm so pleased that you got good results. My husband had carboplatin and rarely had any nausea (only during two of his cycles, but it didn't last too long). Hope this new mix is much better for Harry.

I'm sorry about the doctor mix-up. But, glad you got it sorted.

Enjoy the good news!

Thanks everyone. I'm soooo happy!

Sheri, yes, the name of the new chemo IS Carboplatin. (Thanks!) I knew I had seen it mentioned here, but if I don't write things down right when they're told to me by the doctor, I get overloaded with too much information!

Three whole weeks of not having to run back and forth to the cancer center! (knock wood!) What a vacation!

Thanks to everyone for sharing our happiness.

I know (we've been told way too many times by the oncologist), that small cell usually tries to sneak back after a while, but for right now, today, I'm sure happy that 60% of it has been erased!

Take care,

Nova

Nova,

I am so glad you got good news. I think it deserves a great big YAHOOO!!!! Even if it's not quite the giant leap you wanted every step forward is wonderful. You are on your way, just keep on fighting.

Also wanted to thank you, you are a real inspiration to me. Thank you.

Dana

Seems to me that Harry got good news, shrinkage and a 3 week vacation.

I had Carboplatin intil I developed an allergy and then changed to Cisplatin - I'm through with my sclc and who knows which one did it!

Take care

Geri