Pre-existing condition insurance question

teriw

I'm hoping someone out there knows the law better than I do.

My husband's company is switching insurance providers next month. I'm looking through their information folder and it talks about the pre-existing condition clause (waiting 6 months). But then it has some very vague language about reducing the waiting period if you can show that you were previously covered or had only a short gap in coverage. In his case, there is no gap in coverage. This is only happening because of the company switching providers.

Do I need to worry about him losing medical benefits for 6 months? Are we protected by law when a company decides to switch carriers?

I literally just hired on with a company last week to get additional insurance benefits, but I'm sure they have a waiting period for pre-existing stuff too (I haven't signed up for my insurance yet).

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Teri,

I went through the same thing with the company that I sold my company too. There should be no waiting period. Preexisting should not come into play. When I switched to a Medicare supplement, again it did not matter.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Ernie,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. We just found this out today. This is the last thing anyone needs to think about when going through cancer treatment. I knew we'd get the answer from the company on Monday, but who wants to think about it all weekend?

Bless you! :D

When my husband's insurance switched with his job, all of my pre-existing stuff like headaches, anxiety meds, glucose intolerance, etc, were covered.

I believe that the pre-existing stuff is not covered only if you have not had insurance before.

Hi Teri,

I actually hold a health insurance license for the state of Maryland, but I don't know how or if it differs from the laws in California. In Maryland one can not be excluded from group health insurance for prexisting conditions. Therefore, there should be no lapse in coverage. I hope that helps.

Teri I live in podunk Oklahoma so I am sure the laws in pro-active LA are above and beyond. Bill should have absoutely NO LAPSE in coverage. When I was still working I was the Benefit Coordinator for a company and we always made sure this was the case for our employees. It is on considered Pre-Existing if you are trying to take out a new policy on him rather than just a switch over from one provider to another through his company.

Whew! I think one of the recent laws passed the (HIPPA, I think) mandates that there be portability from one group insurance policy to another. As long as there has not been a gap in coverage of more than 60 (90?) days they can't exclude pre-existing conditions.

I was self-employed for several years and went to sometime extraordinary lengths to keep my coverage so I wouldn't lose my portability.