Cancer Stinks

allgirl

Hi, Everyone - I've been lurking for a little bit and have finally screwed up the courage to tell my story. First, thanks to you all for being here, and for listening. My family and I lost my 70-year-old father, Ron, to nsclc this past February 19th. It was a blessing, really, in that he was probably spared of a lot of suffering, but he went downhill so quickly it was a shock to us all. He'd had a section of lung removed back in '03 for a single cancerous nodule, had no follow-up treatment, and the cancer came back with a vengeance this past December. I was holding his hand when he took his last breath, and although I thought I'd be relieved he was no longer in pain, I instead felt like I'd been punched in the stomach. Nearly three months later the pain isn't as sharp, but I miss him with all my heart. He and my mom were married for 46 years.

Not even two months later, my mother, Peggy (also 70) found out by CT scan that her nsclc had recurred. She is a nearly nine-year stage IIIB survivor, and her doctors call her a walking miracle. As you can imagine, we are just devastated, especially after watching the hell my father just endured. She has seen her hometown onc and we took her for a second opinion yesterday to Georgetown's Lombardi Cancer Center. She started Alimta on Tuesday and will receive treatment every three weeks for the next several months. Scans will be taken in mid-June to monitor the cancer and gage the effectiveness of the Alimta. She has several nodules in both the left and right lung and some activity in the mediastinal area.

Anyway, that's my (our) story. I would appreciate any input on the effectiveness of Alimta/advice/prayers/positive vibes. I am a 40-year-old married mother of two young girls, but I will never stop needing my own mom. She means the world to me. Again, thanks for your time, and for just being here. My best to you all.

Amy Lee

Northern Virginia

Good Morning Amy,

First let me say how sorry I am that you and your family have to take this journey through the ugly land of cancer.

My s-i-l (60)has lung cancer (BAC) and takes Alimta with good success and little to no side effects. Her blood counts are good and she is just a little fatigued for a day or two after infusion. She is on a break now because of stable disease and that is a good thing.

Blessings to you and your family.

Laurie

Amy,

Sorry to hear of how cancer has hit your family. I did not take Alimta, but there are many here that have. There are a lot of newer drugs that have had some very good results. Let's pray that your mom will have great results.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hi Amy,

I'm so sorry that you lost your father and are having to deal with this again.

Your mom being a nine year survivor of IIIB is very impressive. I hope she does well on her new treatment and continues to be a walking miracle.

I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through. I'm having such a hard time dealing with this in one parent, I can't imagine how hard this must be on you with two parents being effected by this horrible disease. I don't have any experiences to share with you as my dad has not been offered chemo as of yet, but I do have many prayer for you and your mom. Hang in there.

Hey Amy,

I lost my Father in December 06 and now my Mom has sclc and is undergoing treatment. I was right there with Daddy and watched him struggle and suffer for 6 months before he passed from kidney failure. I know right where you stand except I don't have any kids (of the 2 legged variety). My thought and prayers are with you.