My mother was just diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV.......HELP!

My mom is 60 years old, non-smoker. She was diagnosed with NSCLC and in stage IV. She is in pain....there are couple 2cms tumors on her left lung and several in her adrenal area(2 and 3 mms) and has pain in her hip area. Her oncologist is recommending Cisplatin/Gemcitabine combo. 4 hour drip of Cisplatin every 3 weeks and Gemcitabine once every week......There are several on here that are taking the Carboplatin/Taxol combo as opposed to what her doctor is recommneding....Anyone know why doctors prefer one over the other? Anyone who has been on Cisplatin/Gemcitabine? What are your side effect? What anti-naseua meds were prescribed? What can we expect?

Sorry for all the questions! Just very anxious!!

Thanks!!

Tammy

Tammy,

I'm so glad you found us! I think your Mom's recommended chemo is one of the standard first line (there are several), but I second Don's ecommendation to visit Onctalk.com and read up on the different chemo regimines or register and ask Dr. West.

If you are at all ucomfortable about your dr's recommendation, please do not hesititate to get a second opiniion. I also second the suggestion for a bone scan to check for hip mets. My mother had spine mets and the pain from those were quickly taken care of by 3 weeks of radiation.

Plese let us know how she is doing.

Susan

I had carbo/taxol the first time I had chemo and then more than a year later, again following surgery had cisplatin and gemzar - cisplatin and gemzar the 1st week; gemzar only the second week; a week off and then the cycle started again. Did this for four cycles. I had side effects from both. Both lowered my RBC, WBC, and platelets. Both gave me nausea and diarrhea (sp?). I had aches and pains bad enough to use Vicoden/tylenol for a few days after each carbo/taxol Tx. Didn't have the pain w/ the gemzar/cisplatin combo. It took a while to recover from both chemos. It's not fun but it can be done. Good luck

Muriel

Cisplatin/gemzar is the standard first line treatment in Europe. In US, it is Carbo/Taxol. Cisplatin and Carbo are very similar: carbo is easier on your body (like kidney) but has worse effect on your blood counts. There is some evidence that Cisplatin is better than carbo but this is mostly in lower stages of lung cancer not so much in stage IV. I did ask doctors why they chose C/G in europe and CT in US and the response I got was that

CG is slightly better but the infusion time plus a hospital stay (in Europe you stay a night at the hospital after infusion of Cisplatin) was financially too much for US insurance companies.

My father had C/G. He had no problem with his blood at all but had vomiting.

My dad is also getting the Cisplatin/Gemcitabine combo. He was given several different types of anti-nausea meds. He takes Emend and they give him Decadron on the Cisplatin/Gemcitabine day. He was also given Reglan and Ativan to take as needed.

On the day he receives the Cisplatin, he also gets two hours of IV fluids before and after. It makes for a very long day. They want you to continue drinking lots of water for several days after the infusion because of the possible effects on the kidneys.

The Gemcitabine has been hard on his veins and he had quite a bit of irritation from it on the first infusion arm. After that, they slowed down the rate and added fluids to help dilute it going in - a saline solution I think.

Fatigue, nausea, some hair loss, and low blood counts have been his main side effects. I think his sense of taste and smell have also changed. (He used to eat just about everything, but now he has become pretty picky!)

I hope everything goes well for your mom and that she experiences very little of the side effects.

Wow....I am amazed to have such great encourgement from all of you. I will keep you updated!! My mom is going to have an mri done to the place where she is hurting...and also a bone scan! Lord willing.....we will not see anything!!

Thanks

Tammy

Tammy,

I am glad you found this place as it is wonderful support. I have found that any time you have a question just ask and you will have many different answers. I have done both gemzar and taxol. The taxol was way easier but you have to remember that everyone is different. Always ask the doctor for meds to help with any side effects that come with chemo. There are so many out there that if one isn't working there will be another to try. Hope all the scans go great.

Sherry

Hi Tammy,

My dad also has Stage IV NSCLC and he was a non-smoker. He is on the Carboplatin/Taxol/Avastin protocol and it seems to be working pretty well so far. The drawback with this regimen is that you can only have up to 6 rounds before its effectiveness is compromised. So after Round 6 we'll reevaluate and look at other options.

The treatments do reduce his WBC and RBCs and he receives boosters for both (Neulasta to boost WBCs and I can't remember the other). He receives Zofran and Emend to help with nausea and takes Decadron for three days following chemo day to help ward off the worst of the side effects. He also has a transdermal fentanyl patch which really seems to help his pain.

I would also echo the recommendation to get a bone scan - Dad has several mets to his bones and was able to reduce a couple of them with radiation.

Good luck - this is a wonderful community and I hope you feel as welcome as I did. :)