don m the fiducials are in

Don M

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and support. The interventional pulmonolgist successfully implanted the fiducials around my tumor yesterday. I don't know the exact details, but I think he put 4 or 5 of them around the tumor. The tumor was so big it was easy to find and he negotiated a u-turn in my airway to get to the tumor. There was a slight risk that I might die because of a pneumothorax and a possibility that he might not succeed with placement. But I am still alive and the fiducials are in. The rest should be easy. I have planning appointments next week to set me up for the cyberknife treatment. I think the actual treatment will be 5 doses, one a day for 5 days in a row, but I am not sure yet. This was the first time they had placed fiducials in a one lunged person using the bronchoscope. I am very pleased and grateful at the outcome. I feel like I just squeezed in the "you still got a chance for a cure room" before the door slammed shut. For large tumors, it less likely they will be able to kill the tumor outright, but I should get significant shrinkage. I am not sure, but I would say that I have a 50% chance at an outright cure after treatment. Much of it depends on the amount of response after the first 3 months following treatment.

Don M

I'm so glad the fiducial treatment went well, Don. Did it hurt? I hope the procedure was filmed and that it might be able to help others one day. You really are an inspiration to me.

Keep us posted on how the actual CK treatment goes and take care of yourself.

Trish

I don't remember much about it. I was under anesthesia. It did not hurt and my throat was vaguely a little sore aftrwards. I mostly had a lot of congestion to deal with both before and after the treamtnent. I take mucinex, antihistamine and cough drops to help reduce the mucous and to mute the cough. I was encouraged not to cough so that the fiducials would not come loose.

I have been staying at my oldest son's house this weekend. I am going to send the doc a thankyou note when I get home.

Don M

Great to hear you are still alive and that the implanting procedure went well! This is a really interesting treatment.

I hope it and the cyberknife work out perfectly for you.

Good luck!

Don, not only are you here to tell us about it, you are providing very valuable guidance to all of us on this medical approach, which will prove to be reassuring and useful to someone in the future. I for one am grateful that you've taken the time to do that. Keep "slamming" those doors against a cure shut. You are a warrior, and

are helping us all. My prayer for you: simply keep that fighting spirit up - your success will be in someone's study soon, and will indicate to others that this can all be managed.

Blessings. Mary Colleen

Fingers crossed and prayers sent out to you. I hope all goes well with the cyberknife. I just feel this may be the cure for you. You wanted this so bad and with all the hurdles here you are ready to have it done.

I will be thinking of you and sending healing prayers.

Good luck my man..

Maryanne :wink: