Chemo effects - any advice?

nomadawn

Hi

I have posted before - my mum has Small Cell Lung Cancer - extensive and has just completed her first round of carboplatin & etoposide. She had very few effects apart from tiredness but was able to carry on shopping gardening etc. Her hair is thinning and she does get sharp pains in her back which radiate round her middle but this is occasional. My question is could she get more effects as the treatment goes on or is this a good indicator of how she will be for future rounds. Also any advice for mouth ulcers which she has just got - salt water being used but is there anything better?

Any advice/experiences would be appreciated as I would like to take my mum away for a weeks break after her second round based on the fact that she did so well on the first one.

Thanks & god bless

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Happy to hear your mum is doing ok. My husband started having low blood counts about the end of the 2nd round of chemo, but he had radiation at the same time. He did take Diflucan for his mouth ulcers, which is an antibiotic that the Dr prescribed. By the third round he was very dehydrated and sick and had to stop for a little while. He did have to get blood transfusions and his esophagus was very badly damaged but again, that was from the radiation. Everyone is affected differently and hopefully your mum will get through this with little or no side effects. Blessings to you and your mum.

Debbie,

The main side effect my husband had with the carbo/etoposide was fatigue and low white cell counts. (And hair loss.) On cycles 3 and 6 he suffered nausea. We found it was a little hard to plan in advance to go away. We wanted to go away a couple times for a weekend and had to cancel at the last moment. We learned to grab the chance when he was feeling well, and just go somewhere close that we could enjoy.

Hoping your mum continues to have minimal side effects, and that you can have that week of vacation.

Hi-my Mom tolerated chemo very well-after her first round she did need a blood transfusion but after that pretty much everything went well. She was exhausted about 10 days after each cycle and sometimes her white count was down so they waited to do the next cycle for another week or so. My Mom took her anti-nausea meds and she rarely got sick.

We were afraid also that it may get worse as the treatments went on but it didnt.

Keep us posted and continue to read your Mom all the positive stories...

Dar

My Mom had the same treatments to begin with. She did have some nausea but it varied. Seems to me that by the time you figure out what works and what happens, either you're done or they change the meds.

As far as the mouth ulcers go, my Mom didn't have them but she did have some pain in her esophagus but taht was from the radiation. She still uses the lidocaine viscous solution. I've read about a "magic mouthwash" which is the lidocaine+benadryl and something else. Definately ask about some relief and don't let her not eat!

Thank you all for your kind replies.

My mum is doing ok although she said there seems to be very little difference in her fatigue from the first week after treatment to now - 3 weeks later. I thought by now she would be feeling a little better.?

She has had no nausea whatsoever and her appetite is good. Sometimes it is hard to believe she is so seriously ill ! I am not sure why she is not having radiation as well - maybe this is because she is extensive..?? We are still planning a break next week - close to home. She goes for round two of her chemo in 4 days so I am really hoping she will be ok next week. Her hair is really beginning to thin now and her head is really sore - has anybody experienced this sore head thing? She says she cannot lie on it in certain positions - not sure how to advise her on this one.

Thanks and god bless

Debbie x

I think that at least some of the time, the side effects of chemo become more challenging to overcome, but the onc usually either gives a shot to help, or if the blood count is too low, will arrange for a blood transfusion. If she gets dehydrated (as I did), they will give her iv fluids to build her back up.

One of the most important things the onc told me was to drink plenty of fluids, and I know I did not drink as much as I should have.

Your mother apparently is not taking radiation, so that won't be a problem. I took radiation and it "burned" my esophagus so bad that I could not swallow, and therefore did not drink much at all because of the painful swallowing, and that is why I became dehydrated, I think.

It seems your mother is really doing well, and she may be responding very well to chemo without really bad side effects, and that is great!

Each person responds to chemo differently, and it appears that your mother is responding very well.

Sending good vibes and prayer that your mother will continue to do well.

Barb

Debbie,

I am so happy to hear that your mom's side affects are pretty mild. To be honest, I don't think that my dad's got much worse. He did get extremely, extremely tired as they went on...but he didn't get more aches and pains, or anything like that. He lost all of his hair, and his eyebrows thinned.

Blessings to you and Mom.

Jen

Side effects can vary tremendously. My hubby had virtually no effects in the beginning and had high energy level, a lot of it was probably nervous, anxious energy. The side effects gradually got worse with the low blood sodium, anemia, nausea, vomiting, extreme fatigue, weight loss/ loss of appetite (my hubby did not lose his hair though). Some people seem to fare so well and others not so well. I do hope that your mum has an easier time of it but all of these are possibilities to be aware of.

Please give your mum a big hug and love her up everyday.

Hugs...Flowergirlie