Dad has SCLC

cad1223

Hi: My dad was diagnosed on 5/3 with SCLC, he is just 60 yrs old. I'm here looking for support, advice, experiences of everyone. I can also give the same (maybe not the advice, though, still so new to all of this). Thank you.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I am new here too. Many helpful people ready to share their treatment stories, and words of encouragment. I know you can also get a lot of helpful literature from the American Lung Assoc. They also have "talked" me through my time of need. They have nurses that will explain what you need to know. Their help line number is 1-800-548-8252 M-F 7am-7pm. They have registered nurses and respiratory therapists to drill with all the questions you may have. But the people here have first hand knowlege because they have actually suffered the effects and have done the treatments. They will guide you, and may God Bless you and your family.

Hi Cheryl,

It's Laurie. I'm here for you and your family as well as on the LCA Survivor Community. You WILL find lots of hope on this site and we will all be here for you to ask questions or just let you feelings out. God bless.

Cheryl-

Welcome to the board. Go to the SCLC forum and read the sticky post near the top that says, "what I did to fight SCLC"-- there is a lot of good information in that post that will help your dad. I hope he responds to his treatment.

Hi Cheryl,

I know you must be very scared right now and finding this place is the best thing you could have done. There is so much love and support here that it will start to feel like your second home. If you have a question just ask no matter what it is, as each person that has lc is different and I am sure someone here has had some experince with what ever you need to know.

Sherry

Welcome Cheryl,

It wasn't long ago I was in your exact shoes. One of the greatest things that happened to me when my mom was diagnosised in February was finding this site. It has been a great source of info and support. If I can ever be of any help just let me know. I can honestly say I know how you feel. Stay strong and stay positive!!!! Any questions just ask!

My prayers are with your family,

Dana

Hi Cheryl. Welcome to the boards. I am so sorry that you need to be here, but I welcome you with open arms. If you have any questions, please, PM me. My dad's story is below...so you can see that this is a beatable disease. Every day we are thankful to God for his gift of healing.

Blessings,

jen

Hi, Cheryl, my mom was also diagnosed sept 2006 with extensive sclc, mets to liver. She has responded really well to chemo. Her doctors are amazed at how well she is doing and how well she looks. She too was 60 at time of dx. There are sooooo many supportive people here and that have the best advice. I will be praying for you and your family.

Hi Cheryl...sorry to hear about your dads diagnosis. I know this is a time filled with questions and confusion but this is a resource with many answers and personal experience to help guide you along the journey. Please let me know if I can be of any support for you.

Peace...Flowergirlie

The first thing to do is take a deep breath, the second is to understand that this is not insurmountable. I am 5 years out from my last treatment and have had no sign of sclc since way before that.

Please stay positive, someone has to be a long term survivor - I am, why not your Dad?

Take care

Geri

Hi Cheryl,

My Dad also had SCLC and was diagnosed in December 2006. He is done with all his treatment including Brain Radiation as preventative method and is doing great. The tumor is gone and has just gone for follow up scans. Stay positive, and everyone here is so incredibly helpful. Anything I can ever help with, let me know!

Hi Cheryl

Welcome to this site-when my Mom was diagnosed in Sept with Ext Small Cell this is where I found my HOPE. Please read my Mom's timeline and let your Dad know there are survivors even with the grim statistics. Keep us posted

Dar

Hi Cheryl,

My mum was diagnosed with extensive SCLC in April 2007. She is doing ok so far.

It is all very new to me too but this place is my sanctuary - I lurk a lot but try to post as much as possible. I am happy to help anybody if I can. I dont know what I would have done without these people frankly. I hope you have the same experience.

Keep in touch & God bless

Debbie

Hi,our story is similar,my dad dx 4-9-07 sclc mets to liver.He is very weak and frail,he is starting 3rd round of chemo.The onc.is much more upbeat than the radiologist was.My dad is very weak in his legs also.I am afraid to ask onc.about any kind of timeline,I fear the answer I may get.I will pray for you and your family,cancer is a terrible disease,what is so bad,my dad is sneaking a smoke,I can smell it.I try to to tell myself the harm is already done,goodluck to you.Take Care