Hello I am new to all this!

I am just wanting some support and friendship dealing with my fathers recent diagnosis. He is in stage 3 squamous cell lung cancer. My mom is a mess !!! I am dealing with a lot and trying to stay strong for my parents. Just wanted to check this site out and not feel so alone. My dad has a lot of hip pain and they seem to think it has nothing to do with the cancer. he has had diagnostic tests done they say he has nerve compression is this commen with his diagnosis?

Hi, Wendykay, and welcome to the LCSC! You've definitely found the right place for support and solid information. No matter what your question or situation, there undoubtedly are people here, both patients and family members, who have "been there, done that" and are ready to lend you a hand. Most of the crew is probably asleep right now, and you'll start hearing from them in the morning, but I'm out here in Hawaii (4 hours earlier than Colorado, if I remember my time zones correctly) and am happy to be the first to welcome you.

The more information you can provide the group, the more specific and helpful will be the responses you get. Any time you're able to spend writing a chronological "profile" of your father's symptoms, tests, diagnoses, treatments, side effects, etc. will be time well spent and will actually save you time in the long run. That way you don't have to give background every time you post -- just plunge into the subject at hand. To create a profile click "My Profile" at the top of the screen, scroll down to the "Signature" block, enter/expand/update your information, scroll some more and ensure "Always attach my signature" is marked "Yes," then "Submit."

You asked about the hip pain. Obviously your dad's medical team is in the best position to determine its cause, and if they say it's not related to the cancer, then I'd accept that. A few days ago several of us were discussing the various aches and pains that everyone gets from time to time, and how those of us with cancer immediately worry that any new discomfort is caused by the cancer metastacizing to somewhere else in the body. Sometimes these fears get rather far-fetched and even humorous -- you probably haven't done much laughing recently, but you'll soon find that laughter is an essential stress reliever.

If you have any questions about using the site, or anything else for that matter, please ask. I believe you'll start to think of this community as part of your family, as most of us have. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Wendykay,

Dealing with alot is probably an understatment as I know how it is to deal with a sick parent. Maybe you could get your mom to look at this site or even just tell her about what you learn. I am sure she is as scared as you are. Maybe once she learns that there is hope and others that are going through the same thing she will have a little comfort.

You and your family will be going through alot in the upcoming weeks and months in your fight. I wish you the best of luck.

Sherry

Welcome, Wendy. So sorry to hear of your father's diagnosis, but you will find lots of hope and encouragement here. I'm also a Stage III diagnosed 21 months ago and going strong. Never did have hip pain, though, so I can't offer any help with that. Keep us posted on how your dad's treatment is going.

Trish

Welcome Wendykay: you've come to the right place for support & information. My hubby was stage 3A adeno & I too was a mess. Once you get a treatment plan in place, life takes on a new normal, but that's ok. That's what we did and that was 13 months ago & Maurice is still going strong. Just let us know how we can help your. Prayers for your whole family, especially Dad. Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr

When my father was found to have NSCLC he also had a terrible paing in his hips (could not walk) and a reall bad paing in one elbow. Naturally we assumed it was from cancer that has spread so he was sent for a bone scan. It has turned out that the pain had nothing to do with cancer (he did have two spots of cancer: on the spine and one clavicle that were usymptomatic). The pain in hips went away by itself and the pain in elbow was from a nurve that had to be blocked.

Hi Wendykay,I hope you find as much information and hope here as I have.All we hear about on the news are the bad things people do but I have met many kind and caring people in here.Sometimes I think God works by people helping people.Anyway I hope and pray the best for you and your father. Mike

Wendy, I don't really know the answer to your question, but I wanted to welcome you to this site. it is filled with amazing, amazing people, who love, care, and prayer for everyone.

Please know you have my prayers too.

Jen

Hi,This is my first time writing I have been reading here about a month.My father was dx early April with sclc with mets to liver.He has had 2 rounds of chemo.is very frail.I have alot of questions,but do not dare ask the onc.with my father there.I have read about stages,we were not told what stage or a prognosis.I know the docs want to keep the patients spirits up,I am worried because everything I read is grim.I hope to find support here and maybe some answers,maybe I will be able to help someone else along the way.I am so afraid,I want to believe he can beat this,but I feel if I don't prepare myself for the worst I will be crushed.I guess all I can do is pray.

Inadaze, Where in NC are you?? Greensboro here!! have walked the whole path. For both inadze and Wendykay i reccomend reading a little of the good news forums at least right now. This can be great therapy for a pick me up and may help in giving some encouragement to you and the family. This is not the end of the line. there is so much going on righ now in research. CHOOSE HOPE CNCER SUCKS!!!! think die cancer die. also the inspiration forum is some help for some comfort I think.

Hi Wendykay and Inadaze,

Welcome to the forum. I am new here as well. You have DEFINITLEY found the right place. Everyone is great and very supportive. A lc diagnosis is a lot to handle for everyone, patient and family alike. Though I am the patient now, our family has just helped our son, age 36, walk through 16 months of surgery and treatment for a brain tumor. I see so many famliy members here and I know you will get the support you need.