Lung Cancer Vaccine

Hey all - While doing a little cleaning I came across the name Luis Raez LC injection. I vaguely remember hearing about this on TV and I had wrote this down just incase we needed to investigate further but to share with everyone here as well. Well guess what it got lost in my mounds of papers but I found it and now I am sharing this. This is interesting and exciting I think.

LUNG CANCER VACCINE

Lung cancer strikes more than 170,000 people each year. Only 15 percent of them will be cured. The rest will be given just months to live. About a new vaccine that gives patients hope.

Transcript of the story

Healthy For Life Extra

extra information about the story

For More Information

where to go for help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRANSCRIPT

Marilyn Cohn knows how to deal with a bad hand.

Her doctor dealt her one she thought she wouldn't be able to beat.

Marilyn Cohn

Lung cancer survivor

"He said, I had lung cancer, and right to my face, he said, 'You have one year to live.'"

Doctor Luis Raez gave her a second chance.

Luis E. Raez, MD, FACP

Oncologist

Sylvester Cancer Center

University of Miami

Miami, FL

"When she came to us, the tumor had already spread."

Her only hope -- a vaccine -- never before tested in humans.

Marilyn Cohn

"When you're told you have a year to live...you'll do anything!"

Luis, E. Raez, MD, FACP

"We're trying to make your immune system aware that you have a lung cancer tumor inside, and we need to kill it, and you need to defend yourself."

To do that, doctors inject patients with a vaccine filled with lung cancer cells. It's the same theory used to fight the flu. The immune system is alerted of the foreign cells and kills them.

Luis E. Raez, MD, FACP

"Your immune system builds up an army of cells. It goes and fights the lung cancer tumor."

That army then seeks out lung cancer cells throughout the body and destroys them.

19 patients got the vaccine. One tumor shrunk and five others stopped growing, including Marilyn's.

Luis E. Raez, MD, FACP

"We stopped the tumor growing, but also, she has not progressed in that time."

After surviving eight years, she knows luck is on her side!

As for side effects, the only thing patients complained about was a slight rash. The vaccine will now move on to another trial involving 70 patients. They will be given one injection a week for nine weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEALTHY FOR LIFE EXTRA

LUNG CANCER: About 170,000 people will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year. Between 70 percent and 80 percent of those people smoke. Only percent will be cured. The rest will be given less than a year to live. SYMPTOMS OF LUNG CANCER INCLUDE:

A cough that doesn't go away and gets worst over time

Constant chest pain

Coughing up blood

Shortness of breath, wheezing or hoarseness

Repeated problems with pneumonia or bronchitis

Loss of appetite or weight loss

Fatigue CURRENT TREATMENTS: Treatment depends on a number of factors, including the type of lung cancer (non-small or small cell lung cancer), the size, location, and extent of the tumor, and the general health of the patient. Many different treatments and combinations of treatments may be used to control lung cancer, and/or to improve quality of life by reducing symptoms. Treatments include surgery to remove the cancer, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and photodynamic therapy.

A NEW VACCINE: Beginning in 1999, an experimental vaccine for lung cancer was tested at the University of Miami in 19 patients, all of whom were out of options. Six responded and survived for several years. Four are still alive, having had no other treatment for this deadly disease. Now, 70 new patients will get a chance to try the vaccine. Luis E. Raez, M.D, co-chair of the Thoracic Oncology Group at the University of Miami, has been awarded a three-year, $300,000 Clinical Innovator Award from the Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute -- funding which makes two new phase II clinical trials possible.

In one, patients who are not eligible for surgery but who respond well to chemotherapy will be treated with the vaccine. "Within four months," explains Raez, "Fifty percent of those patients with good outcomes from the chemo would relapse." The hope is the vaccine will delay or prevent that relapse. The second group will be made up of patients who have had their tumors surgically removed. "Naturally, that's a better setting for a vaccination," says Eckhard R. Podack, M.D., Ph.D., chairman of Microbiology and Immunology. He devised the vaccine. "When there is minimal disease or no detectable disease, the immune system will respond much better." Making enough of the vaccine, greatly taxes the resources of Dr. Podack's lab. It's a job that would be eased by an automated culture system, something the lab can't afford. But the work goes on. Dr's Podack and Raez are also about to begin a phase I trial on a different lung cancer vaccine called gp96.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Kelly Kaufhold

University of Miami/Miller School of Medicine

Office of Communication

1475 NW 12th Avenue

Miami, Florida 33136

(305) 243-5184

kkaufhold@med.Miami.edu

I found this by simply google"ing" Luis Raez Lung cancer injection.