Update on Bill (Updated June 27th -- last one for this post)

teriw

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info and the thoughts. I think I'm still in shock this morning.

I don't know if it's just semantics (I'll find out more this morning), but our doctor didn't use the term "mets," he used the term tumors (plural). I think when they say "mets" they mean lesions? Obviously, I'll be reading up today.

Yes, Mary Colleen, he'll be taking Decacron on Monday. The doctor had just started him on a week-long high dosage pack of Pred, but that was done mainly to help eating. (Although come to think of it, the doc said it might help the vision -- he obviously felt he knew before the results came back.) He started it yesterday, and it did seem to help with energy and eating. When the doc called last night, he said he would be giving us a new prescription to start on Monday (unless the others are too much through the weekend, then he starts earlier).

Lilly, you remind me of Bill. After it was all said and done last night, he said, "oh well, it's another hurdle." I'm sick of hurdles -- bet you all are too.

I'm so sorry to hear about this latest setback, Teri. I have no personal experience to offer about brain mets, but I wanted you to know that you and Bill are in my prayers. He's one tough guy, and I'm sure he'll get through this. Take care of yourself while you're taking care of him.

Trish

Oh Teri, I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

I know what you mean...I'm sick of hurdles too.

When Mom's doc told us about the spots on her spine, he called it "disease" of the spine. I wanted to yell "WHAT DISEASE????" I had to ask him if he meant mets to the spine and then he nodded yes.

Well CRAP is all I can say. I'm so sorry that Bill has a new "hurdle" but it sounds like his attitude is right - best buy him a new pair of running shoes with plenty of spring to get him over this new bump!

Keeping you both in my thoughts.

Geri

GEEZ!!! How I hate this disease! Terri and Bill we will be praying hard this weekend for y'all to get through this with no problems. There are so many on this board who have had brain mets and recovered that I have not let this part even bother me with my worrying over my sister's lung cancer. It just seems like it really is just another thing that has to be taken care of on the way to taking care of the big thing. I doubt that made any sense, but I think you know what I mean to say.

Tell Bill to stay positive and keep the faith. Please know that we will be praying hard with you as I am sure many more on this board will also.

Love,

Bobby

Dear Teri,

There isn't anything I can say that hasn't been said. It just sucks and I hate it, but as you have said, It is what it is. That doesn't make anything any better but you two have each other and that's more than some.

Blessings to you both getting over this hurdle.

I am sorry to hear this. We too were just devastated to find out mom had mets to the brain. It was only 2 days after we learned she had lung cancer when they did the MRI. BUT...she had the WBR and it took care of both mets completely. She then had a series of vision disturbances and we learned she had one new met in the vision area of the brain. She had surgery for that and her brain is now clear! There is hope. She is doing really well right now and I know your husband will fight this too! It is hard to take such shocking news but once you absorb it, I think things will look up and you will know you just need to keep pushing along. Good luck!

Terri,

I unfortunately know how scary this all feels. My dad has brain mets also. Our bad news just continued to drip out: first lung cancer, then we found out that it was Stage IV, then a few days later we found out there were 3 brain mets, then we found out that there were actually 7 brain mets not 3...bad news came every 3 days or so for about two weeks. On the last round of news, I literally laid on the floor and cried.

My dad has now had 13 out of 15 rounds of WBR--and just like Bill's experience--it has absolutely knocked him out. He is so tired--he is sleeping all of the time and he is barely eating. He just says it makes him feel nauseous. We have been plying him with ice cream and Ensure--but it is a real struggle.

He has 3 more treatments to go with the WBR and then we'll see the results. He also had SRS to remove the 3 fully formed tumors in the brain.

The only thing that comforts me through this is that this is a very normal course with lung cancer and from what I'm told--this is very treatable. But oh my gosh, does it sound scary when you hear it for the first time...

I wish you strength through this.

Leslie

Teri-I am so sorry to hear this. As I posted we got the same news last weekend. My Mom also starts WBR on Monday for 3 weeks. I have read many encouraging stories on here and elsewhere and people do survive the brain mets. I will be thinking of you and Bill on Monday and tell my Mom about him while she is getting it done-we can all say a prayer for each other. We just have to keep taking everything one day @ a time-everyday we get up and they are here with us is a blessing.

Keep me posted and PM me anytime.

Dar

I know nothing at all about mets/tumors in the brain, as it's something we haven't had to deal with yet, but I DO know that all of us here, have "Got your back", as far as saying prayers for you.

The docs have already told us that Harry will be receiving brain radiation , regardless of whether they ever find anything or not on a scan.

From reading posts here, it sounds like it really zaps the tumors, so that's a good thing.

If there's anything at all that I can do, (across the miles), please let me know.

Thinking of you,

Love,

Nova

Teri, I am sorry to hear this. (Keri just asked me what was wrong, apparently I let out quite a grunt at reading this).

A met is a tumor, but of the type that comes from somewhere else.

Hang in there. We're pulling for you guys.

I am sorry that you and Bill have had this setback Teri. I don't have brain mets, but I am sure that you cross a psychological threshold when you first find out about them. I have read that they are easily treatable.

Don M