Update on Bill (Updated June 27th -- last one for this post)

teriw

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teri and Bill, I am so excited to hear about Bill's baptism. It's such a joy to know that he has the Lord by his side. As well as all his family. Still praying hard for all of you. Please take care of yourself, Teri. Hugs, Liz

"dar68"]Connie-Love to Hear the story about your Small Cell

Lung Cancer Friends!!!!!! Keeps us going!!!

I wish I had a lot more stories to share, but for now I have a few anyway! :wink: I know how important it is to know that others have gone through this journey and have beat the odds. It honestly DOES HAPPEN!

Teri and Bill, Your family comes first, we totally understand what your going through and we will be here when you have a free minute to update us or if you just need to chat.

I am so glad to hear that the family is coming and things are going better for Bill. Your all in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy your family and have some fun!

Thanks everyone. Just to let you all know that Bill is thoroughly enjoying his family visiting, as am I. They're all being awesome and we couldn't ask for a better time with them (unless, of course, "cancer" wasn't in the way).

Our brother in law and our wonderful neighbor are currently doing an "extreme make-over" on our pool, which is just amazing. People have been incredible and we're both overwhelmed with the kindness and love being shown.

On the medical side, we found out that poor Bill had a thrush infection in the throat which was making swallowing unbearable. It's now being treated. We're hoping that that being under control and the addition of marinol (just got it yesterday) will put some weight on. (He's extremely thin.) He's perked up a lot and is starting to look stronger. His eyesight is very poor and he's wobbly, but much better overall than a several days ago. We went to the British pub for dinner at his suggestion, and he actually ate a full plate of fish and chips and desert! We finish the brain radiation either Monday or Tuesday.

His baptism went amazingly well. He was so nervous, because it was full emersion and he can't see well. He was also asked to say some things. People were so inspired! It was just lovely. The kids and I were afraid of him getting cold. Afterwards he said, "that felt great -- I need to be dunked more often!"

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Mine are with you all as well. I looked through the recent posts to catch up on everyone, but I didn't post anything. Please do know you're all on my mind so often.

Lots of love,

Teri

xoxoxo

Hey Teri,

I've been thinking about you guys. I'm so glad that Bill is doing better. Please let me know how the marinol works out. Mom finally agreed to try megace but I'm not real sure how it's doing--it's only been a week and she nadired so she feels even worse. When I asked her radiation oncologist about the marinol he said no one he knows uses it anymore since megace came out but I still think it makes more sense than anything else.

Bill has been on my mind, then I saw your update. How promising that is! I am thrilled that he is starting to eat.

You are blessed to have so many wonderful family and friends. It's amazing how something so positive can come out of dreaded deseased. He must be such a wonderful gentlemen to have so many people there for him and also you.

Thanks for keeping us informed. I will continue to put Bill in my prayers and will hold him close.

Maryanne :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a "last update" for this post. Wanted to let you all know that Bill's family visits were WONDERFUL. Everyone left yesterday and it's the first time we've had the house to ourselves in about a month. Of course, our dog Mrs. Dickens isn't too happy just having the two of us to play with -- as far as she was concerned, all the visitors were here for her. The "extreme home makeover" our brother in law and Bill's nephew and our neighbor did is just amazing. Our brother in law was a building machine. Fly all the way from Spain to work, work, work solid in this Los Angeles heat for two and a half weeks. That's a labor of love, because all we had to offer in return was a spa massage and some decent food! :wink:

Bill has semi-good days and very rough days. They almost seem to go every other day, as if he expends a lot of energy when he has energy and then his body just says, "enough." Now that he's off the steroids, his personality is back to being "my Bill," which is very nice indeed. His vision still sucks though (double vision), which means he hasn't been able to write (although our friend bought him a cool voice recorder that hooks into the computer). He has a Zometa treatment on Friday. Still waiting to discuss next steps, as the doc wants him to recover from radiation. He's in quite a bit of physical discomfort, but he is starting to put some weight on. I absolutely hate seeing him in pain. Enough already.

We had a great last night with the family and friends -- once again at our local English pub. He polished off a huge plate of fish and chips.

We've shared some fantastic and incredibly close moments recently -- between the two of us and others. It still amazes me how such a horrible circumstance can pull down any remaining barriers, however small, so you're just yourselves. That's one of the blessings that emerges from this mire. Thank goodness there are blessings, or we'd never make it through.

Now that I have my house and computer room back, I'll be catching up with you all more regularly.

Hugs and prayers...

Teri

I have been thinking of you and Bill in the past few weeks. I am glad he is getting some of his energy back. My Mom also is very weak after 36 chest and 15 brain radiation treatments. Glad to hear the visit from family was nice and eventful.

Take Care

Dar

Teri it is wonderful that you all had such a great visit with the family. The home makeover sounds like something that I can only dream of achieving. I can certainly remember overdoing one day and then paying for it for several days afterwards. If Bill is managing every other day then HOORAY for him. :lol: Will be good to have you back posting on a regular basis because we always wonder how everyone is doing even though we do understand that there is a life outside of the LCSC message board. ROFL