The Struggle

Don Wood

This post is very hard for me to do. But I need to do it in order to get on with my life. I have thought, reflected and prayed much about whether or not to stay on LCSC. I very much admire and applaud those of you who have lost love ones and yet have chosen to stay and help others here. You are a blessing indeed.

But, for me, I need to move on to other endeavors in order to heal as much as I will heal. I want to thank all of you who loved, supported and cared for Lucie and myself these past four and a half years. You have made an arduous journey a lot easier in so many ways. I am forever grateful. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I want to especially thank Katie and Rick, who are angels on earth, for providing this forum for all of us joined by LC. They will never know the full impact of their love on so many. You are special people, Mr and Mrs. Brown.

I have signed up for a program in my church called Stephen Ministry. It is a ministry of one-on-one lay ministers to people in crisis. The training starts in August, and I will follow in Lucie’s footsteps and continue that work for us.

I have promised Katie that I will keep in touch with her and let her know how I am doing. I will honor that. Thanks again, my dear friends, for being you. I will linger here for another week or so, and then I will be on my way. God bless you all. Don

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don, we have Stephen ministers at my church. It is a very good ministry to be apart of. I hope you find many blessings in it.

Regarding moving on: I and many will miss you. But I hear ya, and get it. I wish nothing but wonderful things for you in the future.

God Bless.

Don, I have not 'known' you for very long but there are tears in my eyes as I read this post. Your support has been invaluable and very much appreciated. You will be missed, probably more than you know. I wish you the very best in your new endeavor and hope that from time to time you'll check in and say hello. God Speed

wendyr

((((Don))))

We love you so much and it will be hard not seeing your wonderful posts. I'll miss your sense of humor and words of encouragement.

I do understand the need you have to move on and the Stephen Ministry is a wonderful mission to immerse yourself in for the future. My dear friend that passed last year was a Stephen Minister through our church.

Congratulations on taking such a noble and exciting step forward.

Godspeed my friend!

Debi

(((Don))),

There are tears in my eyes as I respond here. You were among the first I came to know at LCSC, and I always looked for your wisdom and sensible rationale. You supported Fred as well, with his bout with prostate cancer, which was invaluable to him.

So, friend, I understand what you are saying, BUT that doesn't make it easier to accept. I am so familiar with the Stephen ministry. My VERY good neighbor, who took such great care of Fred and me in our darkest hour, decided after ministering to us, that she felt this was her calling. She took the training and is now officially one of the counselors.

Take care Don, and if ever you have a need for support of ANY kind, hope you will know where to come.

I do love you and am so pleased I had the privilege of meeting you and your dear Lucie.

Kasey

Vaya Con Dios My friend. may the sun always be in front of you and the wind at your back. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR EVERYTHING!!! :cry: Peace love and Joy in whatever path you follow. Prayers and Hugs From the other RandyW Big Guy!! :)

Don,

It's with great sadness that I read your post. You will be truly missed by all. You've been such a help and inspiration here, and we know that you'll do a tremendous job in your chosen Ministry.

Thank you for all the kind words you've written to me and so many other. God Bless You. Ellie

Can you please still post once in awhile to let us know how you are doing?

You are doing the right thing, but it feels like we lost a family member, you have been so supportive of everyone--everyone loves you so much!

You are truly a wonderful caring human being and it was a pleasure to know you --even though through the internet!

Don - I am sitting here with tears in my eyes as I read your post. I have always thought of you and Lucie as "grandparent" figures. You both seem like very terrific people. I am glad that you had found this place to find peace and comfort for you and Lucie both durning that difficult time as well as offering your support and encouragment. I pray that you will do what Lucie and you believe in and that you will continue the healing/grieving process as easy as possible. Much love and please do check in with Katie/us. You will be greatly missed!

Heidi

Don--you and Lucie always, always, always gave me so much hope... Both during and after Lucie's struggle with the beast.

I'm familiar with Stephen Ministry as well. You will be SO GOOD in that role.

I support you in your need to heal... but we're just all going to miss you so very much. Just know how much we all love you.

Don,

I get it and I wish you all the best. You have been a great source of encouragement and support over these difficult years.

I also have decided to move on. I sent Katie a PM yesterday telling her that I would no longer be posting. I plan to drop in from time to time, though. I also plan to start a local LC support group before the end of the year. Good luck with the Stephen Ministry. Thanks again for being here for me these last 3 yrs. To God be the Glory, Honor and Praise!

Don:

You'll surely be missed, but the great things you've done here and elsewhere will never fade. You've touched so many lives with your kindness and compassion. With only 24 hours a day in this human existence, it's unfortunate but inevitable that we must choose from a multitude of worthy causes. My best wishes in all your future endeavors.

Aloha,

Ned

Don you will be missed more than words can express. I do understand your need to move on. I do hope that you allow Katie to let us know how you are doing.

Wishing you the best and thank you for all you did for us.

Don,

I refuse to say Good Bye. You can't leave us all behind and not come back to say hello. I hope you will check in from time to time to let us know how you are. You have and always will have friends here.

Thank you , Don , for all that you have given to all of us and I wish you well in future endeavors. May God be with you.

Until we meet Again,

Sue

Dear Don,

The highlight of my time with LCSC was meeting you and Lucie. What a wonderful inspiration you both have been. I wish you much peace and satisfaction in your work with the Stephen Ministry and will look forward to periodic updates when time permits.

Much love,

Don,

I haven't read all of the other posts so I may be repeating some of the same sentiments....The way that you and Lucie dealt with this horrible disease was truly an inspiration. You have been a great deal of support for me over the past several years. You are an amazing person and I know that you will change many lives for the better in your ministry. Take Care,

Tammy

Dear Don,

How sad I am to read your post. You are very much like the father to all of us here. I relate very well as to why you must leave, actually, I applaud you as I know it was not an easy decision to arrive at. I myself keep saying, "I must move on"... somehow, by staying in touch with this site, it is like having some connection to Daddy still. Does that make any sense? I feel like if I leave here, he is gone - forever. Yet, I know I too should be moving forward with life and not lingering here any longer, my family is very much in agreement that this site is no longer healthy for me, it is just so darn hard to say goodbye. I have said it before, and come back. I may follow your strong lead, I ask for the courage to do that. Be safe Don, Stay strong and thank you and Lucie for the many years of kind words and encouragement. Much Love, Sharon