Am I being selfish?

Okay, my dad has completed his WBR and working now on getting some of his strength back. He says that this it! I've asked him to go for another opinion and he said no. I'm not at all happy with his decission but unfortunately I know it's not mine to make. However, he still says "he's fine" and "he's not giving up". I know it's hard to understand, but that's what continues to give me hope. You see, I know when my he says that "he's done", he means with treatment, not with life. He IS a fighter! He keeps telling us that he's not going to let this get him down. So mentally he is fighting and I feel that is very important. I'm praying that after he takes a break from these back to back treatments that he may be willing to reconsider. Until then, I have told my mom and siblings that I don't want to hear about anything. It makes me feel so bad because I do want to be there for everyone. I love him so much and this is tearing me up, but if there isn't anything I can change, I don't want it to interfere with whatever time I have left with him. Is that wrong of me? In the beginning my dad told my mom not to tell me anything. Maybe I'm living in a fantasy world because my dad just doesn't seem like he's doing that badly (especially for someone that has a total of 51 radiation treatments). So it's hard sometimes to accept it. I've made it clear to everyone though that I won't stop sharing information and stories of hope. I'll just keep praying that it will help to keep him going.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to know the "details". Your dad sounds like he's got a good fighting spirit going on and that should be your focus. Sometimes knowing more makes that harder for some...patient and family.

All my best to you and your family...and prayers that your dad recovers his strength quickly from all those radiation treatments! What a trooper!

nope not selfish...not wanting to know all the details may be a blessing for you, it will allow you to do more with your father..... BUT ... at the same time while sharing your stories of hope, determination, and in some cases triumph you will be walking a fine line of respecting your fathers decision to not get another opinion or not seeking more treatment. you will need to watch how you relay the way ppl are fighting because you may alienate your dad by telling him of all these ways to fight which are not what he has chosen.

find ways to enjoy everything you can even look for ways to fight that you can share like thru FOOD, or yoga or something... mostly have fun

Take a peek in the Forum Hte path less travelled some time when you can. one if our Non treatmnent People was Dean Carl. I thoink reading some of his posts may help your spirits be uplifted. You ar enot being selfish by any means. Prayers and Hugs for everybody