Radiation to the Chest

Hi all--

I know Adrian recently posted to report that my dad is doing really well. Although he is quite fatigued, he actually looks great (although you can see the fatigue in his eyes). Despite not feeling 100%--he is still teaching class once a week. It seems that having the goal of getting to class on Thursdays helps keep him focused and gives him a reason to get out of bed each day. He has two more classes until the semester ends. I am so incredibly proud of him for even making it this far.

In the past in our family, nothing is ever off the table for discussion. We have always been open with each other and with others. I am finding however, as Adrian mentioned, that with certain people I would rather just gloss over the details of everything that we're going through. Re-living the past 6 weeks with each and every person---is just not that helpful. It feels funny not to talk about the most significant thing happening in our lives right now--like we're avoiding the elephant in the room--but on the other hand, the feelings are so deep and so painful...that sometimes it feels better to stay on a more superficial level. The "How are you, really?" questions--are sometimes really unwanted...

So, that was a really long introduction to a totally unrelated question--my question is: Some folks on this website, appear to have received radiation to their chest. This option has not been offered to my dad. Can anyone tell me why they had this procedure and how it helped? I just want to understand the full range of treatment options.

Thanks in advance. Apologies for the very long post.

Leslie

Leslie ... I think I speak for everyone here when I say don't ever worry about a lengthy post or posting too frequently ... that can't happen here.

My mom didn't have any type of radiation. Not sure why, but I fully trusted her oncologist so I didn't pursue it at length as I did various other treatment options.

I'm so glad to hear your dad is doing well. Sounds like you have such a wonderful family. But I do understand the "glossing over" or as I like to refer to it, giving people the "condensed" version. My closest friends know most all the details, but with others, I always felt it's just not necessary. I'm sure alot of people, when they've asked me, want just that, too.

Praying for your dad's continued success and so glad he was able to finish up his classes.

My oncologist went with radiation because my cancer had spread to lymph nodes in the mediastinum (on the same side as the cancerous lung). His plan was to fry any little critters that might be thinking of spreading the party to the other side of the chest and stopping progression.

Did he tell me all the possible side effects? Well, that was the job of the radiation oncologist and I don't believe he did...or I had my "can't hear bad stuff this may be my only chance, let's do it" earplugs in. Either way, I don't remember being told it could mess up my thyroid (yep) or my heart (see Connie B's signature line for heart issues).

So now, I'm fat, but I'd do it again. Maybe one day my thyroid medication will be set right and I'll have energy and be able to lose weight, but I'll still be on the right side of the grass for living.

I know that people with metastases receive chest radiation if a tumor is pressing there and needs to be reduced, but I'm no doctor nor expert on the subject. I know why I had the radiation, I can't speak for others.

Good luck!

I had image guided focused radiation (IGRT) a year ago to kill a tumor. The intent was to kill the tumor only and and not damage adjacent tissue. It didn't work, even after follow-up chemo. I think my situation is unusual. IGRT is usually a very effective way to kill a single small tumor.

Don M

We are a family that is open and has never had anything to hide. In fact, because of that, a lot of our friends and family expect from us a certain willingness to really share where we are. Of course, this situation is different: the mere discussion of where we are, on a day to day level can actually upset the balance of "where we are."

For one thing, good people say the wrong things (by our lights), all the time. They are either negative (Oh my god, CANCER, He's a goner!), too positive (He'll be FINE), don't care enough (Wow, that's too bad, see ya later), or too emotional (Why are you sobbing, it's not YOUR dad). Some people in the spiriti of openness dig too deep (How will you go on?)

Obviously, the support of friends is invaluable, but striking the right note is very complex, indeed.

Secondly, my sister, mom and I (honestly, a bit harder to say with dad) are really in atunement with how we want to approach this going forward. When I tell others, it can feel like relaying a conclusion to a concerned bystander. They are there, but not in the same way.

I underwent radiation 5 days a week for 7 weeks while also receiving chemo therapy once a week. My cancer was inoperable so I am not sure if that is an extra reason for radiation but I also know a lot of folks on here that have had surgery, radiation and chemo. I guess I figured the more ammunition they put in there to kill the beast the better my chance was of being a survivor. So far, so good, 9 months out from treatment and stable at last check.

Mom's radiation to the chest was for mediastinal lymphnode involvement, again, was only on the left side (same as the primary tumor). Her side effects were esophageal burns, thrush, and radiation burns to her back that go pretty severe by the end of 38 rounds.

Other than that, I have NO idea about why they choose to use radiation and why they wouldn't. Maybe Dr. West might be able to answer this better? Always worth a shot!

Harry received chest radiation also. (three weeks worth, five days a week, twice a day!)

I'm not sure why some doctors do it, and some don't, or what it depends on....? We were told that a study had shown that radiation that was started during the second chemo session was the best and most effective . (Harry's was done during his third round of chemo though, because there was a mix-up at the cancer center.....)

I'm thinking of you guys, and am happy to hear that your dad is feeling as well as he is. It's great that he's been able to keep teaching!

Take care,

Nova

Hi Leslie, I had surgery but had bad margins so they mopped up with chemo and radiation to the chest and mediastinals. It did a number on my heart, but I was not thinking long term.

Did you read the post from Perry? His case is similar but sounds like his docs were more aggressive...and it is working as he is out riding his motorcycle!

Barb

Hi Leslie...In my mom's case, they told us that radiation was not an option at the time of diagnosis as her tumors were so large (7cm and 3 cm in the right lung) She is on her first round of chemo (last cycle) and has been feeling GREAT....much better than she has in over a year. We are hoping that the CT will show enough shrinkage that the Docs will consider radiation to get rid of anything remaining. My best wishes to your dad and the family. It sounds like he has great support from all of you. Shelley

Leslie, don't be afraid to set some boundaries right now.

You can say, Gosh, thanks for asking but I'd rather keep the conversation light for my own well being. And then I immediately jump into something really superficial like, Hey, do you know where I can find....(a good hair dresser, comfortable shoes, a coldstone creamery). That gives the other person something to talk about and "help" while deflecting from the serious stuff that, sometimes, I'm just too overwhelmed by in real life to also talk about it throughout every moment of the day.

I've done that and people normally respect that boundary (even if they're dying to know).

Good luck and much strength during this really tough time!

I had surgery, chemo and then radiation. The idea was to make sure any remaining cells were zapped so that the cancer would not spread. I, like Becky, had a node in the mediastinum (sp) that was positive and removed. All the lymph glands on that side were removed. And yes, my heart now has an extra mumur and the remainder of my lung is has scars from the radiation. BUT, and this is a big BUT...I would do it all over again. I have had no treatment since the first rounds and its nearly 4 years since my last radiation. I am upright and look forward to each day.

Nina