Hair Growth After Chemo

wondermom

Just curious how long it takes for hair to start growing back after chemo ends. My mom has been done with chemo for about 3 months now and has very little hair, if any really. It is pretty white so it is hard to see anyway if it is growing in. She is on Tarceva now so I am wondering if that is slowing things down a bit. I think it is starting to bother her a little. I am sure everyone is different but just wondering if I could get some idea.

Thanks!

I can completely relate to your mom's impatience. I burned my wig 7 months after finishing chemo. My hair grew in very unevenly after chemo; the shortest hairs were about 1/4 inch and the longest hairs were about 1-1/2 inch. I'm taking Tarceva as well, so that may have contributed to the slow hair growth. I have it trimmed now about every 3 months. Hope that helps.

Trish

Harry's hair- (that always sounds silly!), started coming back in really quickly. He's been off Chemo since the end of March ... He (and his entire family), have super thick heads of hair....don't know if texture has anything to do with it or not though.

Here's wishing her a "big hair day" very soon!

Nova

I didn't lose all my hair on chemo, just shaved it because it was so thin on top. I've been off chemo for 6 weeks and my hair is about 1 inch long. I don't think it's as thick as it should be on top yet, but I have a lot of hair, and you couldn't tell if you didn't know me before. I also don't have to deal with the Tarceva issue. I hope her hair comes back in - it's harder than I thought it would be not to have it. Sometimes I'll see my reflection and not recognize myself!

Raney

I have not had much hair since November and I always like these strings because I struggle with this so much and am thankful that folks talk about this as it makes me feel normal. My son said I will be bald forever and I'm resigned to the fact that he may be right. Here is hoping your mom's hair starts growing back real soon for her mental well being.

Lilly

Mom cried and cried over her hair. It's been two months since her last chemo treatment and it's just begun growing fairly rapid but it's growing straight up on the top of her head like those little toy trolls!! It looks so funny!

She was so upset at first but now she's figured out she's gonna have to take it for what it is and so she just laughs about it.

Hang in there, it'll come back!