Newly diagnosed in Hampden, Maine

Rod

Hi to all.

I have been diagnosed with Lung cancer recently. I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 35 years. I quit on May 4th of this year, (29 days so far) and went for a check up 4 days later and asked for an x-ray fully expecting it to come back as negative.......NOT. Since then, I've had a CT scan which showed a collapsed left upper lobe with one tumor (not sure of size) and a few lymph nodes also infected.

My first consult with my oncologist was not a total loss (think positive I say). Next step is a PET scan and an MRI.....a second opinion at Dana Farber and then many weeks of hard work.

I'm encouraged, discouraged, happy, sad, brave and scared to death all at the same time.

I'm 54 now and fully expect to celebrate my 80th birthday with my wife, kids and grand kids in 26 years. I was too stubborn to quit smoking for years.....I'll be even more stubborn to give up living now that I have made the right choice.

Sorry for all the rambling....trying to find my way right now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the boards, I am glad you found us. Congratulations on quitting smoking. Once you get through all your tests, let us know what your treatment plan will be. I know how hard this is in the beginning, we've all been there, and can help you through things.

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry about your news but you have found a wonderful source of support and information. Keep us posted as you complete your tests and the docs come up with a treatment plan. Whatever it is, you can be sure that someone here has been through it. They will be very happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck and keep up the great attitude....it's been working for us! Shelley

Welcome to a great message board and a wonderful group of supportive and helpful folks. Strap yourself in and get ready to ride the roller coaster and know that many folks are here to help you or answer any questions you might have.

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry about your diagnosis but glad you found this site. Things are overwhelming right now, but you will settle into a routine when the treatments and schedules are in place. Your positive and fighting attitude will be a great help to you as well.

Feel free to ask anything here. There are so many knowledgeable and wonderful people here who will be more than happy to help you out.

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

Christine

I want to say 'welcome, jerkydude', but that sounds just too strange :? . Hope you let us know a name to call you soon :wink:. For now, I'll call you jd.......how's that?

You are already WAY ahead of where I was upon dx. I was discouraged, sad, and scared MINUS the encouraged, happy, and brave. So I'd say you have your attitude in the right place. When you have more info to fill out a profile, MANY here will be able to 'see you through' the journey with their first hand knowldege. I'm glad to see you are going right away for a 2nd opinion. You'll see that I actually got 4 of them. I just kept going until I heard something positive.

Glad you've found our support......though sorry you need it.

Kasey

Welcome,

I sm sorry to hear about your recent dx. Great job on quitting smoking. I understand the range of emotions. I think that is pretty normal. Good luck to you as you sort it all out. You are in the right place for support and information. I will keep you in my prayers.

I changed my profile id to to my name....Rod. Thanks to all of you for the kind words and the encouragement......

Today may be the hardest day so far.....I begin telling my children. Thankfully they are all adults so it might not be as hard to do as I fear...we'll see.

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for sharing your name with us. I have 3 adult children (36-39) and this has been very hard on them, but they are now an amazing support for me. There is a blessing in everything and I am seeing for the first time some very special things about each of them.

I know it won't be easy for you. Praying for strength for all of you.

Welcome to the boards though I am sorry you have to be here. My mom had such a relief after she broke the news to us kids. SHe said it was the hardest thing she had to do but from that day on we were her biggest supporters. As a family we chose to fight together!

I pray for strength for you and your family. Your attitude is great!!

Dana

Rod

Welcome-This is a wonderful supportive group of people who will help you through this new journey in life. Keep us posted every step of the way

Wishing you courage, hope, peace and strength.

Dar

Welcome, Rod...but sorry you had the need to find us.

Everyone has done a wonderful job of letting you know what's available on here for support and knowledge...and in letting you know that your children can be a HUGE support to you in this fight...so there's not much I can add other than to say that walking with my mom down this path was much more a blessing than a curse and a time that I will cherish forever. I'm glad you have your kids with you...and please, let them know they're welcome aboard anytime! We're here for them, too!

Hi Rod, my mom was very worried about telling all of us (her 5 children) that she had lung cancer. She actually had me break the news to everyone. She was so relieved once everyone knew. She had been hiding her symptoms from us for a few months and now she could talk to all of us about what was going on. I'm sure you will find your family to be very supportive. (Perhaps a little "too" supportive at times). Make sure and let them know if you need a little space. Shelley

Hi, Rod, and welcome to the LCSC! You have a marvelous attitude, which will be a great help in getting you through this. Give us your specifics in a profile and those of us who have "been there, done that" with your particular diagnosis and treatment will be able to help you along the way.

Aloha,

Ned

Hi Rod. Welcome. I figure if I could make it through the stress of chemo, radiation and surgery and more chemo without a cigarette, I do not ever need one again.

They say, if you need chemo, that it is more effective if you do not smoke. We want it to be very effective! I am over 9 yrs now, it can be done!

Wishing you the best, keep us posted.

Donna G

I can't thank you all enough for the stories and support....I'm still at the "don't know much" stage but am learning and planning every day. My wife is a God send.....If I make it through this (and I'm sure that I will) she'll probably kill me. :shock:

I have told one of my kids so far today....He took it well and is waiting for us to tell the other two. One of them is home for the weekend so that will happen this evening.....the last one will have to be over the phone....I want to talk to my son-in-law first so that he's sure to be with my daughter when I tell her. I just want to be there to hug her but I can't....Man....does this stink.

Rod

Hello Rod,

Welcome to this site. We all wish we did not have to be here, but we are and believe me we make the best of it. There is a lot of support and information to be gained from this site becauseit is filled with understanding and caring people. I was soooooooo scared when I first came here. I am doing well now, and try to encourage others. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Carol

Welcome Rod and sorry you have to be here. In the upcoming weeks, as you get more information, the profiles will be a key thing for you to read. A lot of important stuff is packed into them.

Our adult kids weren't too shocked as we had been prepping them a bit during the three weeks of testing prior to diagnosis. Hope this goes well with telling yours.

Warm regards,

Welthy

Hi Rod,

Welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about your news. Congratulations on quiting smoking! You have such a positive attitude and a warm heart. You sound like my dad, more worried about the kids than your self. What great dads!!! And you are needed so much! I pray that you DO get to celebrate your 80th birthday with your kids and grandkids. Hang in there.