Newly diagnosed in Hampden, Maine

Rod

Hi Rod;

I also have a clear vision of my self living well into my 80s and then dying rather quickly from something else besides cancer. I kind of like the way my grandpa died. He had a heart attack and then was able to collect himself for a few minutes, without pain, and then died. He got to know the first batch of great-grandchildren before he left us. I want to watch my grandchildren grow up and have their own kids.

You certainly have the full gamut of emotions. Once you get on a treatment path, you can expect to be more focused and have less turmoil.

Good luck.

Don M

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the boards. I'm so glad I found them. It seems as though it's a great place for many of us to find support and / or just come to read. My mom was diagnosed Wednesday. She's having a PET scan on Tuesday. She's 59 years young. A light smoker for 20-25 years or so. Also an artist who was never afraid of the many chemicals she handled throughout her career. But who knows why cancer comes. It doesn't discriminate. I hope this site provides you with the support and comfort you need. It seems as though it's filled with understanding, supportive, and informative people.

Tova

Hi Rod,

Welcome here and again, sorry you had to find us. But as you can see we are a very attentive, supportive family here.

I know all the uncertainty you are going through. First, it is unbelievable and then you get that dreaded feeling that you will not make 80. We certainly know that feeling. You have that fighting attitude and that is half the battle.

Your family will probably be stronger than you think. They could come here anytime for support and to read the incredible stories of our suvivors.

LC is NOT a death sentence as there are so many treatments now of days.

Keep in touch and let us help you through this. If you have questions ask away as we have very knowledgeable people on here. Almost any question will get a response.

Maryanne

My name is Aubree, and I am the oldest of Rod's three children. My father just broke the news to me last night, and it just doesn't seem real. I wanted to post here to show my support for my father. I did want to let you know Daddy that I love you and I will be here for you to support you in all that is to come! And I can't wait for the 80th birthday party :D

Hi everyone and thank you all so much for the encouragement and kind words and for welcoming Aubree as kindly as you all have welcomed me.

We are still getting info from various places and scheduling for tests and appointments is moving along at a pretty fast pace. This Thursday I have 3 appointments (they were able to schedule every thing the same day for me so I'd only lose one day of work this week). I meet with the radiologist in the morning, my first PET scan around 11:30 and a brain MRI later in the afternoon.

I also have a "second opinion" appointment for June 18th at Dana Farber in Boston.

I think we're just beginning the roller coaster ride for the whole family. I'm thankful that I've got such a good one...I love them all so much.

Aubree--It's hard to watch your parent go through this! My mom was Dx in January and I had to remember to step back and let her have some space because I was a little overbearing at first. Not every conversation has to be about the LC. It's nice to just talk about the mundane aspects of life too--the normal.

Rod--speaking as a daughter, let your children help you. As a parent sometimes you want to protect us, but we want to be there with you. The times I've treasured most in the last five months are the times when my mom has been able to talk to me honestly about what he hopes for and what she is afraid of. I like to think it helps her that she can do that when she needs to.

This is all new, but once you get more info and decide on a course of treatment you will begin to feel like you can breathe again.

In the meantime don't hesititate to ask questions.

Susan

Hi Rod and Aubree,

I know I am a little late in the welcome but wanted to say hi. That is my new normal...........late as always.

I hope you hear some good news today on all the tests being done. I always like to hear the good news last as it wipes out the bad. ok so later I have to remember the bad stuff but if I put if off a few hours or days then it isn't as bad. My mom calls me a wishful thinker but I just call it positive attitude, my friends just call it ATTITUDE. I am thinking the friends might be forgetting I am sick. lol I will have to talk to them.

Please keep us informed on the test results and we all will keep our fingers crossed. Don't keep us waiting to long as my fingers get sore pretty quick.

Sherry

Good morning everyone,

What a busy day it was for me yesterday. The appointment with the radiologist went very well....my first appointment for radiation preparation (sim ?)will be June 12... and I'll find out when my 7 weeks will begin then.

No results from the PET scan or MRI yet (man, is that noisy :o ). I'll know the results of that for sure by Tuesday when I see the radiologist.

Thanks for all the support everyone.....I will start my "time line" very soon. (I finally figured out how).

Rod

After speaking with the radiologist yesterday, I left his office feeling quite good. My NSCLC is at stage IIIa but I'm in remarkably good health over all. My total lung capacity is amost 90% which includes the total collapse of the upper left lobe. He says my prognosis (pending the PET and MRI tests) is really good since I've come into this without any other physical problems.

As we all know, this is going to be a long hard journey even with the "good" news....treatment will be starting within the next couple of weeks...and I'm as ready as I think I can be.

Keeping all my thoughts positive.

Rod

I got more good news today from my Oncologists office. The PET scan shows no spread of the disease from where they believed it was. No other organs are affected at all......This is the first time since this all began that I actually sat and just cried.....the relief is overwhelming but I still know that the hard work is coming. Thank you and God bless all of you.

Rod

Hi Rod and Aubree,

I'm pretty late in welcoming you to the board. But I'm glad you found the place. Your attitude sounds pretty darn healthy considering all you're going through - this'll be a tremendous asset. My Mom's attitude was similar, and she sailed through treatment and had a great response.

SHe was also treated at Dana Farber and We have nothing but good things to say about her care. Please PM if you have any questions about anything.

I'm glad you've been getting such good news - here's to getting more!!

Jen

Rod;

Sorry you had to find this site, but I can tell you the people here are a godsend. My hardest part in all of this has been to tell my children. All are grown and out of the house so it was really difficult. Keep up the attitude it will work wonders for you in the long run. Quitting was the hardest part for me, and I had to do it before surgery to remove the right lung. Stress was my biggest problem. Keep us informed of what is going on. Good Luck and God Bless.

Ralph