New and recuperating

Gail10

I had my right lower and mid-lobe removed 18 days ago. I am feeling really stressed and need to talk with others who have gone on this unwanted trip. The few internet sites I was able to find had people saying they went hunting or fishing after only three weeks. I am diffenately not feeling like them. I had a pulmonolgist tell me 2 days after surgery to accept the pain of surgery that I should only need a few day on naporsyn. Well the surgeon gave me a RX for vicodan but I have stopped taking it. It makes for a long night though. Am I a sissy or what? Is everyone really feeling that great after a few weeks?

My other question is, I have developed a dry cough that is driving me crazy has anyone else had this problem. Please help Gail10

Gail-

Welcome to the board, sorry you have to be here. You are fortunate your cancer was caught early and you could have it removed. From all I have read here on this board from others that were surgical candidates, it isn't easy and it is painful. Everyone is different on how they handle things. Just take it slow and let yourself heal at your own pace. My ex BIL recently had a lobe removed and had a dry cough also - ask your doc about it. Take your pain pills and relax.

Rochelle

Hey Gail..........POOH to those who are golfing and 'whatever' so soon after surgery. It took me quite some time ~ I didn't bounce back like a rubber ball, ya know? As soon as I could, I did do a LITTLE walking and built myself up.

You need to view yourself as very lucky that you had surgery and take this recuperation one step at a time. Do what you can when you feel you can, but DO something. Everything you do now will definitely benefit you in the long run with lung capacity, endurance, etc.

Give yourself plenty of slack and just forget about those super people. I had quie extensive surgery (probably a lot more invasive than what you had) and I just slowly increased walking time, stair climbing, household chores, and the like. You'll get there, you WILL.

Glad to meet you, Gail. Hope you decide to hang around with us.

Kasey

Hello and welcome. I really really don't think I was ready for golfing or fishing in just a few weeks after surgery but of course I did start back on chemo about that time too. If you are not debilitated after surgery you surely will be if you start your second round of chemo.

Keep us posted.

Donna G

Gail,

I can't speak to the pain and cough, but I think 18 days is too little recovery time after ANY major surgery to feel like you need to be up to strenuous activities.

I just wanted to say welcome aboard! You've found a helpful and supportive group.

Susan

Hello Gail and welcome,

Please be patient with yourself. Healing is going to take some time. It was hard for me to adjust to that also. My surgery was in July 2005. I now longer have severe pain but I do have some numbness and tightness on my right side that bothers me at times. I was told that this may go away and that it may not. I am grateful that I can pick up my 5 year old grandson and that I lived to see and enjoy my 5 month old grand daughter. My surgery was an upper right lobectomy. When the pain started to go away I would do something without thinking with my right hand/arm and I would get a painful zing that would remind me that I was still healing. It could be something as simple as opening the car door or reaching for something in the kitchen cabinet. Be patient with your healing. You will heal. Hope this helps.

Carol

USE THE VICODEN! :!:

Welcome to the group. Sorry you have reason to be here, tho.

I've had surgery twice - lost one lobe each time (UL and a year and a half later UR). It takes a long time to recover. After about 3 weeks I was able to reduce the vicoden to twice a day, using Aleve during the day. You need to get ahead of the pain, by taking it before you are absolutely miserable. It's not likely that you will become addicted if you are using it for severe pain. Most of us here used a lot of it. Also, you'll feel better faster if you're not fighting pain, along with everything else. What part of the country do you live in? Did your doctors try to limit the amount of pain meds you used? Are you afraid they won't refill the prescription? (If so, you need new doctors.) I found it useful to record the time of day that I took pain pills. 1. Then you'll know when you can have another one. 2. As you look back over the record you will see some progress re: the amount of pain killers you need.

Good luck. PLEASE USE THE VICODEN

Muriel

Thank all of you for your replies. Just knowing that you have some one to talk to is such a blessing. I took one vicodan and it has helped take the edge off. I am from a very rurul area in Kentucky. I didn't mean to give the impression that my surgeon wouldn't give me meds. It was everything I read was that I should be feeling great and ready to move on but I sure haven't felt that way. I've read more messages and I feel like am not such a whimp after all, I believe I might be normal. I do keep moving and walking and using that blow thingy. I'll keep you all posted after my appointment Tuesday. What a wonderful place this is I am so lucky to have found you. I really was starting to feel depressed I can't thank you all enough. Gail10

"Gail10"]The few internet sites I was able to find had people saying they went hunting or fishing after only three weeks.

Hmmm... I think those folks ARE telling some tall fish tales...

Welcome Gail and sorry you have to be here. It is good news that you were a surgical candidate!

Do not push yourself as everyone heals in their own time. A lot of nerves are in that area and things will hurt between the nerves and ribs for awhile. Don't be shy about taking your pain meds -- it is better to stay in front of the pain rather then try to squash it once it has happened.

Warm regards for speedy healing.

Welthy

I don't think that hunting or fishing was something I would have wanted to do at three weeks after surgery. My first goal was to maybe go out to lunch a week after surgery. I think if you're moving and walking and pushing yourself in that way just a bit every day, you're doing fine.

And, take the pain pills! My surgeon said there is no extra credit for pain. People heal better when they are pain free. There is no reason in the world to be in pain while recovering from this surgery. You won't be on them a long time, but you need them now.

Cindy

3 weeks post op is NOT a long time. I was starting off my pain meds about that time, but I used the handy tylenol PM to sleep. You really do need to sleep.

And I think the people going fishing had a lake in their back yard . . .

gail

Gail, I think its to soon to feel great yet, took me a couple of months, every one is different. As for the cough I did not have that, but could be a side effect of one of your medicines, I would call my doc and ask. I do have a hacking cough sometimes at night but not enough to be bothersome. Welcome hope we have helped answer some of your concerns.

Hi Gail. I have had 2 major lung surgeries. I was able to return to work after 3 weeks the first time and after a month the second time. I sat at a desk for 2 months or so and then did more strenuous field work. It took me about 5 months to get over it completely. I stopped pain pills at 3 weeks out and took ibuprofen. Try walking a little bit each day and increase it.

I had a dry cough after my second surgery that drove me nuts. I finally got some pills that had codeine like stuff in them to quiet the cough and took them for about a month. the cough eventually went away.

Don M

Hi Gail,

Welcome to the forum. Wednesday I will be 3 weeks post right lower lobectomy. My doc told me that there are no awards for not using the pain medication, that it would be quite painful and take about 6 weeks to be back to basically normal activites.

Last week I was able to reduce the vicadin from every 4 hours to every 6. Last night I slept thru the 6 hour mark. I may be ready to reduce it more and use ibuprofen instead. We are all different in our recuperation. Listen to your body and you will know what is right. Walk some everyday and use the dreaded sprometer.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Hi Gail,

As you have read everyone is different. 3 weeks is very soon after this type of operation. Everyone heals in their own time.

Just relax, heal, baby yourself and take your pain meds. As that should help you with the pain and discomfort.

I hope you have one of those squishy pillows to put on your chest when you cough. That should help somewhat.

You were very lucky you were a candidate for an operation.

I don't know what kind of LC cancer you have or what your stage is. You may want to print a profile that will appear under your postings, so we can get a clear picture of your diagnosis.

If you are staged at 1B or above, have you heard anything about starting chemo?

Hang in there, you will get through this. Just give it time as "time heals all wounds". This is one of the most painful operations so it will take time to heal.

We are always here for you.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Gail,

I just saw your post. My dad has his surgery on May 17.

He is getting very antsy. He didn't think it would take him this long either. He says theres no pain he just feels week, tired and just plain yucky.

He is bored but has no energy to do anything. He walks around the pool daily and does his breathing thing perfectly. He gets winded very easy still.

I think it just takes time.

I will keep you updated, but you both seem to be on the same path to recovery.

Gail,

I'll never forget Bobmc who was on here when I had my surgery. He had a picture of him and his family on a rope bridge in the rainforest or somewhere and it was taken like 2 weeks after his surgery. Talk about feeling like a failure - I couldn't even navigate Walmart at 2 weeks- at 3 weeks I tried and ended up panting and feeling like I was going to faint at the cash register.

So don't rush yourself, take your time healing. I went back to work at 9 weeks, and I probably could have stayed out longer. I always tell everyone that I didn't feel like myself until a year was over. Not that I couldn't work, and couldn't do all I needed to but I would get winded easily.

I stopped taking my painkillers after I was home a week or two since my pain was bearable. Everyone is different - take everyone's opinion and then do what you need to do for you. If your pain is bad at night, take a pill before bed and Tylenol during the day.

Hope you keep posting, and don't be so hard on yourself. You are exactly where you are supposed to be in your recovery!