Babmino/a update....(6/5 update)

Andrea

Yeah!

I agree...enjoy that sleep while you can, because before you know it, you will be posting here on the site at 4 am, because you heard a stir, but noone woke up yet!

My Lilli was in NICU for 3 weeks...it was the best place for her. She was 2 months early, so I call her my early bird...but now she is a feisty almost-2-year old!

Blessings,

Jen

A buddy of mine had tripletts, and although weight wise they were small, I was surprised how healthy and substantial they looked.

A couple of them had a little extra baking time, but now they are all a blast and lots of fun and very healthy (4 1/2 y/o).

Good luck.

Andrea,

How exciting! Just to let you know, I had my twins at 35w1d. I was EXTREMELY nervous about delivering on an odd week since it is supposed to be bad for boys developmentally. Mikkel was 6lbs8oz and Saoirse was 3lbs9oz. My twin discordancy was noted at 24 weeks, when I started biophysical profiles and non-stress tests. Saoirse kept passing them, so they let me keep baking :) But I did go into the hospital at 29w because of my cervix (I was contracting more than 5 times an hour and it shortened my cervix down to nothing) so they kept a VERY close eye on me, and I was strapped to the monitor all day and night.

Anyway, Saoirse was the size of a 30-31 weeker, and she had minor issues at birth; they gave her an ng tube so she would not lose any more weight, an IV to regulate her sugars (normal with preemies) and elevated bilirubin so she had double phototherapy (also normal with preemies). Mikkel also had elevated bilirubin, but this was because of blood incompatibility issues. I delivered by c/s on a Monday, brought Mikkel home with me on Friday, and we went to pick up Saoirse, all 3.6lbs of her, on Saturday. She had a lazy eye which was ever so slight, and she saw a pediatric opthamologist a couple of times, but it corrected itself and she needed no therapy. This is also common in preemies.

Saoirse got onto the growth charts at 4 months of age. Today she weighs 2lbs more than her brother. Twin discordancy is usually noted when there is a 30% difference between multiples; Mikkel was at 90% and Saoirse was at 17% when I was 34 weeks. I begged my perinatologist to let me go to 36 weeks but my kidneys had shut down so we had to deliver. In the end, everyone was watching Saoirse, who, when I was admitted at 29w, they told me she weighed less than 1lb and seeing as how I'd "most likely deliver in 24 hours because of the contractions" she had a 50% chance of survival (and I was at a level III NICU), and it was MY body that made them decide to deliver the twins. I did have dexamethazone shots with the twins AND my son last year. When I had my amnio with the twins, they did it on Mikkel, not Saoirse, because girls' lungs mature faster, and even though she was smaller, she would have to work harder outside the womb, so her lungs would be mature. When my amnio came back that Mikkel's lungs were mature, I delivered hours later, and sure enough, Saoirse's were, too.

You're in the home stretch now! I hope the next weeks go by smoothly for everyone. My thoughts and prayers go out across the miles to you!