What to expect?

Guest randa'sdaughter

Guest randa'sdaughter

Hi guys!

It's been a LONG time since I posted anything. My mother went into "remission" after her first diagnosis. Then it came back. She fought hard and went back into "remission". Now, it's back again. 3 spots were found on her brain about 2.5 weeks ago. She has already done whole brain radiation (finished up on Wednesday). Scheduled for cyberknife on Monday. MRI of her spine is scheduled for Tuesday. The doctor believes it's gone into her spinal fluid. Mother has been given the option of having a spinal tap and if it's there, she can have the port put into her brain and have chemo. She has stated that's not what she wants to do. She's gone from walking on her own to now using a walker. She actually fell last week and hit her head pretty good. But she's scared to walk on her own.

My question is what can my family and I expect next? I'm wondering how long? I remember how my grandmother (20+ years ago) laid in a bed almost comatose and I don't want that to happen to my mother. I'm just wondering if any of y'all have gone through this with the spinal fluid?

Thanks much! I've been lurking - just not posting. Love all of you guys!

Hello Paula,

I'm sorry to hear your Mom is back at it. I just wanted to mention, a friend of ours had a port put into his head and because of his low platelet counts it continued to bleed and they were never able to put chemo in it. It was a nightmare. I think your Mom is right for not wanting to go through much more. She deserves dignity.

Blessings to you all.

My Dad has SCLC and was diagnosed in December of 2006. I am not aware of the Brain Mets, but I know people here who have had this and you can speak with them. Look around at the messages, there is so much support. I know how hard this is sometimes and it can be like a roller coaster, but you couldn't find a better place for support!