I think i have a big problem

bart ziggie ( Greg )

Hello everyone i havent posted here in quite some time. I have been reading post everyday but havent had the courage to post or reply for some reason. As i indicate on my info i went fri and ct scan shows new tumor growth in same site as primary was. Fri. docs wanted to admit me to hosp. but i refused. I go this morning and will let them admit me. I am having difficulty breathing. I think from the tumor. I am scared this morning my symptoms have got alot worse since fri. and i can FEEL the cancer moving. I also realize i am now in the fight of my life because of how soon i have had this recurrance. The pain is unreal already and gotten much worse since fri. I did alot of homework last night thanks to the archives here in regards to recurrent small cell. I do know my options are limited as far as treatments go. I know what meds are available also. I truly hadnt or wasnt prepared for this happening this quick. If there is anyone who can add anything that might help me before i go this morning i will certainly appreciate it. I do know that Topotecan and cpt - 11 are 2 of the second line chemo meds being used for recurrance. I also know that only being 2 months out from initialy being NED is not good. At any rate i will do the best i can to make the best choices i can. I am not going to decide anything today ! The pulminary unit will get me breathing better i know that. I have to be honest i am scared and im not even sure till i have more scans if i have any mets. I am almost positive at the very least its in my ribs. Im also not convinced that i truly was NED for the last 2 months. I dont think the original treatments worked. I have remained symptomatic the whole time. I fired my oncologist sept 1 and got a great doc now at a local university. I am in good hands with the best of everything. I dont mean to ramble but this is really setting in and its like a bomb has been dropped. I will check back here before i leave any help or input concerning recurrance will be great. I will prove all these stats wrong ! I will take the ball and run with it the best i can. I just need to know exactly what im dealing with.

Greg

Dear Greg,

I had been thinking of you recently, wondering how you were. I am so sorry for what you are now going through. Sounds like you have researched the available chemos for small cell. I may be wrong but I think I have been reading recently about Iressa for sclc. Also , how about a clinical trial? There are options available...ask your doctor to work on these while you work on easing your breathing in the hospital.

I hope they find the right med for you and that you start to feel better soon. Please tell the docs about the pain so they can help make you comfortable too.

You are in my thoughts and prayers,

Lynn

Greg -

I'm afraid I don't have any advice this a.m., but wanted you to know that I will keep you in my prayers as you re-start your fight with this disease. You have all of us in your corner and we will be right there beside you - God bless and keep us posted - (((((HUGS))))) and prayers -

Terrie

Hi Greg

I am not sure if this procedure works for small cell or not, but I think it is worth checking into. A couple of weeks ago I was watching a program about a new procedure they were doing on lung tumors. It was using lazer I believe.The gentleman they were doing it on, walked in the hospital with oxygen, after the procedure he no longer needed the oxygen and was feeling really good. I dont have a direct link to the website but the hospital is henry ford in detroit. Try Henryford.com. If I can help you, let me know I am only 30 minutes from the hospital. It looked so promising.

Greg,

Good luck with everything. Hugh was on Camptosar and Taxol for his reoccurance. We never really got a chance to see how it worked because he contracted pneumonia. REMEMBER - SCLC is very responsive to chemo and I believe it is also responsive the second time around. Don't give up.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and help. My docs nurse just called and i am going to go ahead and go to hospital. I think i will be on a pulminary floor im not sure. I hope they can get me breathing better. I will meet with doc/docs this afternoon to discuss the plan. I will post again asap. I also am definately be looking at clinical trials. I dont know if my age will help me through this any better or not but i am confident at being one of the ones that achieve a total response to a second line drug like cpt-11 or topotecan after such a quick recurrence. I am ready to take this thing on !!! See you all soon.