Confirmed: It's still there, and bigger, and stronger :(

Lady Salt

David and I went today to the appointment with the radiation oncologist armed with the CD containing the all CT scans performed on David so far, the report from the last one and high hopes that the visit would leave us with some kind of positive feelings.

Apparently we were not meant to be that lucky. A team of doctors reviewed the scan and the consensus is that the cancer is there. Three ribs appear compromised along with one of the vertebrae. There are what appear to be two tumors: one growing along the trachea and one behind of the vena cava.

Why did David have to ask the question??? he did, and the answer was: uncurable, if lucky, one more year tops.

The doctor say that at this stage they will treat it more than likely with taxoterre, which is the most aggressive treatment according to his oppinion. They will also try to alleviate the pain.

We are devastated. He is so very scared. First time I see him cry, and it was heartbreaking. I keep telling him that numbers are numbers, that they dont mean anything, that it only takes one person to break the odds... It seems to be working on keeping him without giving up

Does anyone have a survival story involving lung cancer having spread to the bones?

He is my love, my life, my soul... I refuse to even consider for a tiny moment life without him.

How can I help him? How can I keep him motivated? How do I get him to eat so he is stronger for the treatment that is coming his way?

You can not accept what the doctors predict. I was told that last January would be tops for me. All of their prognoses are based on history. R. A. Bloch said that there was not a cancer that someone has not beaten. If you have not read his book, I would get it. It may give you a lot of new fight. Go to this web address and click on the links to get the book or phone for a free copy.

http://www.blochcancer.org/articles/letter.html

What good would it do me to ask my doctors for a prognosis? They already told me January, 2007. Now is the time to keep fighting and praying. I will be praying that the treatment will remove the cancer from David. I would contact M. D. Anderson and see if there is something new that they may know about.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hello !

It is tough to fight lung cancer when it spread to the bones. But each cancer is different and there are people here on the board that lived many years with it. Lucy lived 4 years of decent quality life.

My father had it in the bones as well and it turned out that that was not a problem. The tumor in his lymph nodes and lung was.

Just focus on getting your husband strong (I did, I think, suggest IV feeding as a possibility before; it really helped my father) and taxotere may really

stop the cancer for quite a while.

Don's Lucy was the first that came to mind for me, also!! Multiple bone mets and 4 years of quality life!! NOTHING like what "the numbers" say it should be. My mom wasn't supposed to live 6 months because of brain mets. She was a two year survivor! There IS hope and numbers ARE just numbers.

Aggressive treatment! Woohooo! Give it everything you have and I'll say a prayer of thanks that you have doctors who didn't just poo-poo him off but offered aggressive treatment! Pain control should have him feeling better and shed a new light on all of this.

Much love and many prayers...

I was diagnosed with bone mets and am 8 months out so far. You wouldn't know I was sick right now. I've heard of multiple people diagnosed with bone mets that are still alive 3 and 4 years out and doing o.k. So - we know this isn't easy. But I read somewhere you should assume you will do at least as well as the best person in your situation has done, not only as well as the worst. I've never asked my doctor for time, and don't plan on doing so. He doesn't know and it would only upset me, and maybe do damage as I counted down to my expiration date. Tell your husband to block it out and fight.

"raneyf" ...I read somewhere you should assume you will do at least as well as the best person in your situation has done, not only as well as the worst. I've never asked my doctor for time, and don't plan on doing so. He doesn't know and it would only upset me, and maybe do damage as I counted down to my expiration date.

Well said, and I agree completely!!

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Thank you all for your replies. It is very strange, but no matter how upset I am, every time I sit to read the forums in this site, I feel in peace. Maybe it is because of all the positive energy that is gathered in here that is able to reach people beyond the limits of space and time, of pc screens and internet. Maybe it is because there are so many lives and stories in here that are so incredibly motivating.

I am so very happy I found you all.

And I am so incredibly grateful to all of you for taking the time to answer questions, calm nerves, soothe souls and give back the proper perspective when we loose it in the tangle of medicine bottles.

I will keep positive, I will not believe in numbers and I will have absolute faith in the fact that David WILL do well, that he WILL survive this.

Thank you!!!!

I got teary eyed when I read your post because I'm sure if many of us asked that question of our oncologists, we might get the same answer since many of us have advanced cancer as well. But I agree with Raney, I never ask and don't want to know because it may make it more difficult to stay positive and live my life as I want to live it. Miracles can happen and you need to keep David focused on the possibility of getting better. My father reminds me that the longer I stay alive the better chance of new medicine hitting the market so the focus is to stay alive. Keep fighting.

Lilly

I've told this story before, but I have to tell it again:

The drs gave my Mom 12-18 months to live initially. After she crossed the 2-year mark, my daughter asked, very seriously, "Will they give Grandma a new expiration date?"

At Katie's suggestion, we began calling Mom a Twinkie--they seem to have no expiration date. We had lots of good time with Mom, and I am so grateful for it. Mom was sick with a myriad of other problems before the cancer, so I was amazed by her every day.

Lots of prayers and rainbows going out to you guys this weekend!

:) Kelly