New Here/ Mom was just Dx

:cry: Hello. I just found out my Mom has been diagnosed with NSCLC adenocarcinoma. She has a tumor in her upper left lung. It is the size of a quarter. She found out her PET scan results yesterday. It has spread to her C7 vetrebra and two of her ribs. Does anyone here know anything about this type of cancer? It was caught by chance. Her doc was leaving so she sceduled a physical and for no reason at all he decided to do an x-ray of her chest. He was shocked. She is so healthty, we are all so surprised with this news. She isn't even sick. No symptoms. Any advice or support would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome,

I am sorry to hear about your mom but glad you found this site. I know this is all very scary right now and confusing too, but you have come to the right place to get advice and help in dealing with this.

Have a look through the NSCLC forum here and read through some of the good news and survivors posts, too. There is a lot of information and HOPE to be found there.

Please keep us posted on your Mom and the treatment etc.

Keeping you and Mom in my thoughts and prayers,

Christine

Your mom's story is pretty common here. Unfortunately, lung cancer is hard to detect. When you get her treatment plan, let us know what it is. It is also a good idea to get a second opinion. Welcome to the board, I am glad you found us.

Rochelle

"preciouslife" I just found out my Mom has been diagnosed with NSCLC adenocarcinoma... Does anyone here know anything about this type of cancer?

Hi, and welcome to the LCSC! The answer to your question is a resounding YES! Adenocarcinoma is the most common form of lung cancer, accounting for some 30-35% of primary lung tumors. Being so common, it's also very well studied, and a number of effective treatments exist for it. In most cases, adenocarcinoma doesn't grow and spread as rapidly as some other types of lung cancer.

The "down" side you've already discovered -- there tend to be few if any symptoms until it's been around a good while (several months or more) and has had ample opportunity to spread elsewhere. If you look through the messages here, especially the profiles at the bottom, you'll see that a large number of members who have adeno were already Stage IIIB or IV when first diagnosed. But, many of us in that group (that includes me, as you can see below) are doing pretty well.

I echo what Christine said about starting with the NSCLC, Good News, and Survivors forums. Read-read-read, take notes, Google terms that aren't familiar, then come back here and ask questions. There are no dumb questions, and there are lots of people here with first-hand experience as patients or caregivers who will be glad to lend a hand. Also, you can help us help you by creating a symptom/diagnosis/treatment profile on behalf of your mom with lots of details. Click "My Profile" at the top, scroll down to "Signature," enter/update your information, and ensure that "Always include my signature" is marked "Yes." If you're pressed for time right now, you can start with just the basic facts, then fill in the details when you can.

My best to you and your mom, and a warm Aloha,

Ned

Hi and welcome!

As sad and difficult as it is that you had the need to find this site, be certain that you found the right place.

This is a space where you will find answers, support, motivation, compassion, comfort and inspiration.

Please keep us updated on your mom's situation. I will be adding you both to my prayers.

I am so sorry that you have a reason to be here but I am so glad that you found us here. You will find hope and strength through others. Ask any questions you may have, there is always someone here to help.

Find Dr.'s you have faith in and stay positive.

My prayers are with you and your family,

Dana

Hi and welcome but sorry you've had to find your way here.

As others have said, unfortunately lung cancer is fairly symptomless and most are found "by chance". However, it is NOT a death sentence. There is hope of treatment and good quality of life to go along with it!!

Please, keep us informed about how you and your mom are doing!

Much love and many prayers...

Sorry to hear about your mom but her cancer is treatable. I hate to repeat myself but I can't be sure that you read this on another post. I think reading Fighting Cancer is one of the best books to read to give hope to those that want to beat this disease, go to this web site:

http://www.blochcancer.org/articles/letter.html

You can order a free copy of the book Fighting Cancer. You can click on the links and read the book on line until you receive your copy. There is also a link to places where you can get a second opinion.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

The fact that your mom's cancer was dx before she began having symptons is good. She will be stronger for the treatment. My mom's oncologist keeps telling her that she is perfectly healthy 'except for this one small problem," and therefore he feels like he can be aggressive in the treatment. So far so good!

Feel free to ask any questions. This can be so overwhelming and frightening. We are here for you.

Susan

Hi preciouslife, I am sorry this is happening to your mom. I know it is very scary for your family and especially for your mom.

My doc accidentally checked off chest x-ray on my pre- hysterectomy lab work. My tumor was huge. Came as a Total shock for someone who never smoked.

NSCLC adenocarcinoma comes in different varieties I think. If it is bronchoalveolar it could be very slow growing. Did you see a copy of the biopsy report?

Where there is life, there is always hope. Plus your mom had no symptoms which is a good sign.

Sounds like she is very strong too, another positive in her favor as it will allow her to take aggressive treatment.

Prayers, Barb