update on my sister, Diana

KleenTeeth

I am sorry I haven't been back on the boards about Diana; but there hasn't been anything to "report." She was given a "vacation" from her chemo for 2-3 weeks so her husband took her fishing. Diana didn't tell me how the fish were biting, but she did say with the respite from the chemo, she now has tuffs of hair growing back! :D

On Monday, June 11th she started her chemo/radiation treatment. She will receive daily radiation (15 sec treatments she tells me) and weekly chemo. It is carboplatin and taxol they are using. Since the tumor responded so well, they are cutting her taxol down 50%. My sister tells me the last x-ray she had done made the tumor appear neurcotic and that made her happy. However, she was told she couldn't have any CTs done. I don't remember for what reason she said she couldn't...had to do with fluid???? She won't see her regular MD til after the 4th of July and the woman MD she has now doesn't do CEA markers which Diana likes to have. Diana did say her fingernails are all black. She told me she happen to hit one and the nail lifted and bled all over. Someone told her to soak them in vinegar to cut the possible infection (maybe a nurse told her, I don't know). Any further suggestions on her nails would be appreciated. The nurse did say that with the decrease in Taxol, it would help.

Diana did tell me a "cute" story about a woman that stopped her in a store. Diana had one of the chemo hats I had knitted her on, so the woman asked Diana if she had cancer, which Diana answered yes. The woman went on to tell her that her niece had cancer and had "awful mouth sores." Diana said she hadn't experienced any as "my sister is a dental hygienist and has given me every product known to man to be sure I don't get them!" Little does she know she is getting yet another product to help in their prevention. I don't know if I can tell about various products on this site. If you would like to know more about it (I don't sell it, I am only speaking as a hygienist and offering a suggestion), email me privately and I will tell you about it.

Thanks for all your prayers and support with my sister!

Suzy

I am so glad to hear your sister is responding well to treatment. She is starting out with the same protocol my husband did. I think it is fine to post the product that is helping your sister, we've posted names of many lotions, nutritional products, etc.- so please share.

There are a number of products that will help with dry mouth. Biotene is over the counter. There is Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash, mouth moisturizer, mouth gel, and gum. Diana said she "thought" she had a mouth sore and applied the gel and it was gone in a day. Also, there is Oasis mouthwash by Sensodyne. There are also saliva subsitutes (Salivart) that work as well. These products I recommend regularily to my patients that experience dry mouth. Just increasing fluids isn't always enough. The new one that I just sent to my sister is MI Paste by GC America. It comes in Mint, Vanilla, Tutti Fruity, Strawberry and 2 others I can't remember. This you must get either from your dentist or from a dental representative. If you google MI Paste, it will take you to the website and it will explain more. A pharmacist may even be able to order it for you. I am NOT sure if you can buy it online...have never checked. MI Paste has been found to help with dry mouth, patients with braces, women that are pregnant and have erosin of their teeth because of the vomiting. The MI Paste you either rub on the teeth (it is a thick cream) for 3 minutes OR you can place a ribbon of paste in a mouthguard (like the ones you can buy over the counter) and keep it in for 3 minutes. I ususally recommend, with the permission of the patient's MD, the cancer patient get a dental check up. One of my dental hygiene friends has a saying "the mouth is connected to the rest of the body." Research has found that with the bacteria in the mouth, there is a connection with systemic diseases in the body. So keeping the mouth clean is essential. Also, chemo and radiation knock the heck out of the enamel of the teeth and you can develop a high number of cavities. I also put Diana on Prevident 500 which is a fluroide that can be bought over the counter. What you want to avoid is mouthwash that has alcohol in it (Listerine for example) as that is drying to the tissues. Also, you want to use a soft toothbrush (Sensodyne makes an extra soft one). I don't go against anything the patient's MD tells them. I tell the patient the MD is the leader and I am just the assistant. What he/she says goes first and foremost. I hope I haven't overstepped the guidelines of the message board by suggesting products. I am just speaking as a hygienist would to her patient.

Thank you all for your support and prayers for my sister.

Suzy