newbie to the process

dana

Hi My name is Dana. My dad was diagnosed about 4 motnhs ago with Stage II lung cancer. About 6 weeks ago he had a lobectomy of the upper right lung and part of the lower right lung removed. Surgeon gave us good news that it hadn't spread to lymph nodes and everything looked good. My dad left hospital in five days with no complication except for a heart arithmea one night. The following week not so good news, the surgeon called and said he did not get all of the cancer in the lower lobe and he is scheduled for another surgery.

My dad is 79 years old and has an amazing will to live. Prior to this he was working as a full time professor. He is still determined to go back to teaching when he fully recovers, perhaps for the spring semester. He is expecting a grandchild in January (my older sister is pregnat). We are all on this emotional rollar coaster. I am praying that he is able to see his first grandchild. The doctors have ruled out chemo and radiation thus far and think that surgery is his best option. He is recovering great so far from the first surgery, yet gets tired easily but that is expected. We are working to put the weight back, more on him than us. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I love reading the message boards and I am so happy I found this site.

Love and Peace to everyone,

Dana

Hello Dana;

welcome to the boards and so very sorry to hear of your dad. Think I remember reading your post over on ACS, glad you found your way here also. :) You will find wonderful and caring people over here too.

I was also stageIIB, they took my left lung on 5/2/01 and I also had no chemo or rad. So sorry they didn't get all of your dads, that really stinks to have to do it again. I will tell ya that the recovery for this is a bit slow but it will get better so tell him to hang on and keep up the " can do attitude ".because it certainly helps.

The family pic was taken 8 weeks after surgery, I was hiking in the rainforests of Costa Rica :shock: , the guide called me a 1-lunged loco and waited alot for me.

again welcome

God bless and be well, your dad will be in my prayers

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hi Bobmc,

Thank you so very much for replying to my message. I have been telling my family and friends about your story and they all are so ecouraged and hopeful. Well the next surgery is scheduled for November 14 and my dad is already calculating that Christmas should be his sixth week of recovery from the surgery. They still don't know if they are going to remove the entire lung. Each day he is getting stronger, our local ice cream parlor is helping getting his weight back on. Thank you again for your advice and sharing your amazing story. I hope all is well and I will keep everyone updated.

Peace and Love,

Dana