Jay - what was the outcome?

SandyS

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the post. Yes, I went to the doctor yesterday, but I wasn't able to come online because my connection to the internet was acting up. I was able to get into the board but then it would get dissconnected and I didn't get enough time to post.

Anyway, never mind that. Now that I can post.... well, I went to the doctor and we are going for gamma knife. I have several mets and for what he explained, I think that's the best option for now. I was hoping you guys could explain me from your experiences how this procedure is. He already told me but I want to know from a patient's point of view.

I suppose that having LC as a primary tumour is common to have mets, but isn't a biopsy needed to confirm the diagnosis of the mets? I should have asked him that, I always go blank when I go to my appointments. I'll have to start writting my questions down.

Dear Jay,

Yes, write things down, or else bring someone with you to write things down. Also write down the questions you have.

I think the mets thing is pretty well assumed and they seldom do biopsies on those.

What would they do after gamma knife?

If someone would explain how the gamma knife is supposed to work, I'd be appreciative, I don't know much about it.

Jay, you're a good kid and a tough kid, so hang in there and we'll help you get through this step too. You are well regarded here, in case you haven't noticed. Let us know what goes on, please.

Warmest Regards,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Jay,

I had the gamma knife in July. They may give you a video to watch to explain the procedure. Basically they screw a head frame into the skin, its tight but not into the skull, it does leave 4 small indentations two in front and 2 in back that are permanent. The frame feels tight but doesn't really hurt. The give you local anesthetic when the screw it in. You'll have on for several hours. The actual gamma knife is relatively short mine was 45 min. You don't feel any thing and won't lose you hair. Then they take it off and you leave I went to work the next day. Your forehead will probably swell up for a couple of days. Just remember all this is better than surgery. Hope this helps

Hi Jay,

Its always good when there is a plan in place. When I take my father to the doctor I have a list of questions or thoughts I want to discuss with him. Fortunately, he lets me email him too, so if I go home and think of something else, I can email him. Why not ask your onc if you could have that option. The best thing would be to take someone with you, even a friend, because sometimes the other person hears and understands more than the patient, because after all, its YOU that everything is happening to. It can be overwhelming. Please keep us posted.

Hi Jay,

a couple of things,

One I hear Gamma knife is great, my mom is getting Cyber Knife soon, and we don't know the difference, but both suppose to be great.

Also My dear departed friend Dave Gimpel, who I worked with had brain cancer, primary and he lived to be in his early thirties, and that was BEFORE Gamma knife, so there is always hope!!

Hang in there, you seem like a fighter, besides anyone who plays soccer is amazing! *hahaha*

Jay -

I know they've had some wonderful success with the gamma knife, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Drill your doctor with questions until you're comfortable with everything.

You're in my prayers and thoughts daily Sweetie!

Hang in there,

Hugs,

SandyS

Jay,

Love the new photo.

Gamma knife it is!! You will be in our prayers.

Can't wait until your birthday, we'll disney magic artist you one heck of a birthday card, complete with goofy and donald to music. Tell me if you want to color it yourself?.. lol...

You're a good guy, Jay. Take heart. Have Faith.

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn