Getting to Know You - July 13 (FRIDAY)

Ann

Geez Ann you brought up something i remember enjoying doing year's ago. But what has changed around here is most of the yard sale's now are almost 90% clothes. The illegal's seem to hit the yard sale's hard as they have all the children which explain's why clothes are popular with them.....

I love garage sales and auctions. I'm kinda "ify" about flea markets anymore, as it seems the ones around here just buy cheap junk in bulk and resell it. I'm usually not looking for anything in particular and love it when I find a special "treasure." I have found some really nice antique pieces a few times.

I don't like garage sales much, but I love the old-fashioned flea markets--the ones with lots of booths of antique-y cool stuff. Not a big fan of the DVDs and new item flea markets. There used to be great flea markets in Tulsa at the fairgrounds when I was growing up. Those were fun---you never knew what you might find! Mom loved those, too...

Made me smile thinking about it.

:) Kelly

Tony and I are eclectic collector's so we've haunted garage sales, estate sales, auctions, antique shows, etc. etc. for years -- and our house looks like it!

I can't tell you how many times we've scored big finds at these places at dirt cheap prices because people don't know what they have -- even in antique shops. Items we didn't collect, we sold for excellent profits on ebay back in the early 2000's.

Now my problem is what the heck to do with all of our collections if we want to downsize! :? My brother tells me I should just throw open my front door and invite people into our antique shop. LOL It was all about the "thrill of the hunt" for us and has left me with wonderful memories of times we spent together on the prowl.

Welthy

I used to go to garage sales all the time, back in the day until I realized I would buy just to buy. I don't look for them now, but if I happen to drive by one, I sometimes stop for old times' sake.

My latest addiction is Craigslist - I have gotten a great area rug that matches my living room set exactly for next to nothing and a solid oak entertainment center for my son's room with drawers, glass doors and sliding doors to hide the TV for $60.00.