Any Lymph node success stories?

warmpup

snippet from surgeon's referal letter;

-CUT- "We found a T2 N2 adenocarcinoma of the left lower lobe with nodes positive at station 5. At the time of surgery, grossly the tumor was adherent to the chest wass only partial chest wall resection reconruction, however, microscopically there was no evidence of cancer. I think he will need adjuvant chemo and radiation therepy" -CUT-

So I described lymph node as access to the body's super highway to my general doc who replied with 'the prescribed therepy will probably give you five years'

Because a lymph node was found affected with NSCLG I now have a limited life expectantcy even with chemo and radiation treatments??? Any one else have lymph node expierence ???? this has like knocked me off the emotional ladder completely . . I am now at the bottom :(

Go back and read your profile "they got it all"-- that's what I would concentrate on. With chemo and radiation who knows how long you have? Not a GP, it's not his specialty. Our primary told us John had about 4 months-- it's been over 5 years now. Hang in there.

I was staged T1 N2 Stage 3A. I had 6 weeks of chemo and radiation before surgery. I had 20 lymph nodes and 1 rib bone removed during surgery and they all tested negative by pathology for cancer. I had two sessions of adjuvant chemo. That was in July 2005 all of my scans have been clear since. Many people have positive lymph nodes found during surgery and followup with chemo or chemo and radiation and live without being give a five year expiration date. Take all of your records and get a second opinion.

Carol

I personally have no experience with lymph node involvement but what i'm reading is there giving you treatment to give you the very best chance of living a much longer life.Cancer is scary and very depressing but why not look at it this way(God has Given me more time to deal with my life).....

Hi Warmpup, My nodes were OK but I had big tumor too and 0.1mm margin - about the thickness of a hair!

So I did chemo and radiation. Now almost 7 years out.

Do you ski? When people tell me I am going to fall on a run (especially an expert) then it makes it 10 times harder. I always like to follow someone else down the hill, because no matter how hard it gets I know that it is possible. Sometimes it is very scary, lots of near falls and close calls, but often I am totally surprised to make it. :)

Oh and by the way, my aunt was told basically the same thing as you when she had Breast cancer at age 82. She even passed on the treatment.... She made it to 99+ years old.

Don't give up, give everything your best shot. Nobody but God knows how it will end.

Barb

My Doctors constantly remind me that I am being treated Pallatively and that they can't cure me. What is funny is my wife and I both know this and the Oncologist that we see now can't really deal with his patients dying. Although they never give me a time frame I am almost 2 full years out from the first round and fought 2 others this year and may have one more to fight. Don't let the numbers fool you. You may get the magic bullet and live to a ripe old age.

Ralph

My sister had part of her lung removed and had some lymph nodes positive. She had radiation and chemo and 2 1/2 years later is still cancer free.

You might want to ask about clinical trials. They may or not be right for you (your choice), but the more information the better

There is NIH's National Cancer Institute, Georgetown and UMD for second opinions if you feel you need them. Obviously Johns Hopkins is one of the best

Take care

My mom had lymph involvment as well, and that was seven years ago and she's doing great, even though she had a recurrence two years ago, with more lymphs involved as well. Today, she's NED! :)

So, get back up to the top of that ladder! Stay Positive!!!

I had surgery in 2003, news of stage IIIa and T2N2M0 were tossed about. I did radiation and two months of Iressa. No one said anything about merely squeaking by for five years, no one put limits on survival.

My cancer was Adenocarcinoma, different animal than yours, but removed with clear margins and extra lymph nodes (three positive) to boot. My "margins"? Both the middle and lower lobe since the tumor fell in the fissure between them.

Never EVER ever give someone the power to limit you. Your odds are damn good, step up to a treatment plan and quickly get a second opinion if you are confused on the which path to take.

At the time I was going through treatment, adjuvant chemo was not offered, if it had been, I would have done it. Bald is beautiful...

C'mon, step up. Now is not the time to be beaten down, you've just begun the fight!

I hope your climbing OFF that emotional ladder you spoke of. That's not the ladder you need to be on.

HOWEVER, your story sounds like a LOT of ours and I'm not seeing anything to different in yours that isn't in 1000's of others. :wink:

Remember I was a stage IIIB with lymph node involvment and I'm still here 12 year later. And I'm Not Alone! :wink::wink: