confused with results of X-ray should I go to another DR.?

btdawgh

long story short..I am just about 60 years old..I started smoking at 14 years old..finally,stopped almost a year ago...have cheated when a friend offered me a cigarette..but basically...I am a non-smoker...BUT,I am chewing the gum...and almost had stopped that until person who smokes was hired as helper for family member..and that can't change.

The helper(caregiver)does not smoke much and does not smoke in our house..anyway..

about me..when I did quit I asked my dr. to do a chest X-ray..he did...and now,months later he had another one done..the results are "confusing" me and he has said nothing..I need someone to explain to me what the report means...I have searched online and can find nothing...I live in Houston where MD Anderson is and I think perhaps I should go there with the results...from all I have heard if "it" is caught early then there is a better chance of a real cure....my dr. is NOT aggressive in anything so I am not sure if I really trust him..

here is what the report says..

....Left infrahilar interstitial infiltrate or possibly evolving pneumonia. Since it is unchanged since 2-6-2007, either possibility of a chronic interstitial infiltrate or a chronic parenchymal process would be a likely consideration. Unresolving infiltrate after appropriate treatment should warrant additional evaluation possibly with a CT examination of the chest. No abnormalities were seen in this region on the prior examinaion of 4-18-2006 and hense suggests acute to subacute rather then a chronic process.

......Now, the part that confuses me the most is the statement about "after appropriate treatment"....and

"should warrant additional evaluation possibly with CT examination of the chest"

.....MY doctor has said NOTHING to me about either of the X-rays..and certainly has NOT prescribed any

"treatment"....so what should I do????

....I am leaning toward getting an appointment at MD Anderson for evaluation?..Does that sound like the wise choice for me?

Please..anything anyone can say or advise will be greatly appreciated...

I imagine I will end up with Lung Cancer..just because I smoked so many years...which is my fault alone....but that is the problem...I am alone...

I am the single mother of two handicapped adult children...and I have no support of anyone..no friends...no family...not anyone.

Again...please advise me...

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am certainly not a doctor and I would advise you to take your xray to MD Anderson where the experts are and have them explain the report to you. From what you have written it does not sound to me like the xray shows cancer. It sounds more like pneumonia. There is no mention of a nodule. Again PLEASE GET A MEDICAL DOCTOR to review your xray and report with you for accuracy.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast...I will work on trying to decide who to go see with the films and reports...I really want to try to get "long term" care ins. and may wait until I try that...I am really not expecting to get approved for it because I have been turned down for reg.med.ins. and now have to be in the "high risk state pool" because of many other reasons...but since you said my current problem does not need immediate attention I guess I will wait...

I know I need another PCP...there are some things I like about this dr. I see but many I don't. It really is difficult to establish a relationship with a doctor. This one is an admitting dr. at the hospital we use...and my daughter has MANY medical problems that end up having her admitted by way of the ER...

Thank you so much for helping me....right now my daughter is having tests done because one dr. says she probably has Ovarian Cancer....another says "no" so I am going insane with dealing with doctors.

....Take care and my thoughts are with you.

I'm no doctor, but here is the deal.

You are at risk, no question.

And XRays fail 85% of the time to detect lung cancer in its early stages.

However a low dose spiral CT scan does a much better job. Perhaps given the odd results of the x-ray insurance will pick up the cost. If not, please pay the 200 dollars or so...if your car made a funny noise, you'd be happy that it only cast 200 bucks.

Go to the i-elcap website for info, they may even have an affiliated hospital near you.

Good luck and I hope any tests turn out to be nothing...but do them with a different doc.

Of course, definately go to Anderson, take the X-rays, the report and see what they say.

Also, try not to stress, just because you smoke does NOT mean you will get LC. There are people who smoke like chimmeys into their 90's and never get this dreaded disease.

To ease your mind you do need a CT. Get this done.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!

Maryanne

I am so sorry....I just read your post about your mom and her timeline....I really am stupid...not really...but ..fact is I can also hardly see at all and am trying to get eye surgery next month...I still meant all I said about what a wonderful son you are....and I do still know...she is very proud of you....and how you are here..helping others not so lucky to have a great son like you....please forgive me for seeming like I am a dippie woman...I am not.....I just can't see very well...and the print was so small it took forever for me to read it..and as soon as I finish this...I am turning off this computer...and may turn it on only briefly to read here until I can see....Thank you so much for caring enough about all of us here to continue to help us....

YOU are a wonderful son...and I know your mom knew that each and every day....take care...I wish only the best for you and all those you love.

"Nick C"]I'm no doctor, but here is the deal.

You are at risk, no question.

And XRays fail 85% of the time to detect lung cancer in its early stages.

However a low dose spiral CT scan does a much better job. Perhaps given the odd results of the x-ray insurance will pick up the cost. If not, please pay the 200 dollars or so...if your car made a funny noise, you'd be happy that it only cast 200 bucks.

Go to the i-elcap website for info, they may even have an affiliated hospital near you.

Good luck and I hope any tests turn out to be nothing...but do them with a different doc.

First let me say how wonderful it is to have a site like this...some of us,like me, really don't have anyone to talk to or ask questions to...I really have absolutely no support system...ie:friends...

I am sixty and the two best friends I had have died.

My life has been only taking care of my children who are now adults but have Muscular Dystrophy. It seems every time I try to get my act together so I can have some time for me something happens and my life goes on the back burner...are these excuses? Not really just the truth...I am once again working on getting my ducks in a row so I can try to find quality time for me...enough of that...

I do plan on getting a second opinion very soon...I sure am one of the people who should end up with Lung Cancer...since both of my parents smoked and then me starting at age 14...I have been living in a smoke filled home for almost 60 years...the odds are not in my favor on this one....

Next week I am suppose to go get my eyes fixed...cataracts...as soon as that is over I will get the appointment at MDAnderson...if anyone knows of another doctor in the Houston area..please tell me...I have had one experience with Anderson back in the mid 90's...I had Barrets Esph...they wanted to cut out my Esph. ..I had a tube down my nose to measure something then the surgery was set..THEN,I learned of an Investigational Study out of state..

long story short...I got in the study..had treatment and the Barrets was gone...if I had stayed at Anderson they would have done surgery...a Laser was used out of state...

Point is sometimes places like Anderson like to "cut"

I will probably go there for the opinion.

I am ever so greatful for this site and hope at some point I will be able to share info to someone who needs it just like I did....

Take care..

I too am not even close to being a doc, but having gone through what we have, I would suggest you get a second opinion. Regardless, something is not quite right, and you want the best to be looking at it. Many insurance companies will pay for a second opinion...as I know Medicare will. We would be lost if it weren't for our second opinion at Mayo Clinic in MPLS.

Let us know what you find out!

jen