Once More Into the Breech

twodogs

Well dear friends, here I go again. I made it to my fourth anniversary on June 26th but it wasn't as joyous as I'd hoped.

Just prior to our planned annual pilgrimage back to Michigan, in early June, I went in for my regular blood draws and a CAT scan. At that time they noticed some amount of activity in an area of my chest that had been inactive since 2003. Also, since having stopped my Epogen injections, my blood counts were pretty low.

A subsequent PET scan revealed that two small areas of concern did show an uptake. These are in the lymph nodes near where my original tumor had developed.

The Doctor almost immediately started a routine of Doxcil and Gemzar, (I think), this even with the low blood counts. From there I was supposed to go on a schedule of one round of chemo per week for a month.

By the end of the first week my counts were so low that he discontinued the treatment and had me rest up for three weeks. Followig that period I had another CAT scan last week which indicated the area had not increased so, I had three pints of blood transfused to raise my counts and went back on a weekly routine of Carboplatin and Camptosar, (CPT-11), which I had also taken back in 2003, plus blood as necessary.

I go back in tomorrow for a draw and then chemo plus whatever additional blood I may require.

There is some more drama that goes along with this story but I'm still trying to get my arms around everything. That part will have to wait. For right now I'm back in the role of patient.

Thanks for listening and keep the faith.

John

John, you've done remarkably well for a SCLC survivor. Are they sure it's not a new primary and possibly something other than SC? If my Dad made it 4 years without a recurrence of SC, I'd want a biopsy of any new areas. Wishing you the best and if you do make your pilgrimage to MI, Dad and I would love to meet you and your Mabel. He has a Mabel too and I'm sure your M is also a saint.

Doxcil and Gemzar seems like a different chemo from the normal protocol for small cell, but what do I know, I'm not a doctor, just a psych grad, turned armchair oncologist. I didn't have a choice. My Dad's Onc said I had one patient and he had hundreds. Unfortunately, he has the MD and I'm on my own.

My best of luck to you and please keep us posted!

John , the good part of this is your Dr. is right on top of it! The fight continues. Keep us posted , waiting to here another battle won.

Donna G

Sorry you have to get back on the ride, John. After years of good reports it's difficult to hear you're back in the game. I sure hope your counts remain up and that this tx knocks the living you now what outta sight and you'll be on to smooth sailing once again. Try to stay strong and positive and I'll do the same. Good luck.

Kasey

John,

I know that it is disappointing to have to start treatment again. My oncologist told me in the beginning that treating cancer may become like treating a chronic disease. I was cancer free for almost two years and now I have started chemo again for a couple of new spots that just showed up. We beat it once and we can beat it again. We know for sure that it is possible to knock it down. Don’t let it get you down. I have to start each day making sure that I stay in a positive mode and some days it is easier than others. I will pray that you beat it again.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Wow John, your doctor is not missing a beat here. I'm impressed that he did what he did ASAP. I am sorry though to hear that you have to go through all this crap again. :( BUMMER!

I'm reaching out to give you a hug and hope your spirits will be better along with your blood work and everything else real soon.

Sending GET WELL WISHES, ((((((JOHN)))))))

OH John. I am so sorry to read your post. You have been such a spirit of inspiration for us. Please know you have my prayers. There are people here who have gotten this bugger more than twice...and I believe you will be one of them.

Blessings,

Jen

Thank you all. We each know how important prayer and caring and sharing are to keeping up the spirits.

My blood counts today were very good especially for me. Not all 'normal' of course but we all set our own new normal don't we?

Didn't need any more blood so it was just a quick round of chemo and I'm back home. One more round next week then skip a week. Following that it's another CAT Scan and hopefully, continue the routine for however long is necessary.

Remember gang, this is a two way street and I'm pulling and praying for all of you too.

John