Feeling helpless and afraid

I feel like Mom has been hiding her pain from us. She would always say, "My back hurts but I think it is getting better." Now she is starting radiation for a met to her tail bone. She has admitted to me today that the pain gets pretty bad. I wish there was something I could do. I wish she didn't have to wait till Tuesday for the radiation to start. I can't believe this is happening after such a good PET report only a month ago. :? I just HATE to think of her at home in pain. She said it feels best when she is up and moving rather than laying or sitting down. Anyone have any suggestions. Heat, Ice? Anthing that has helped? She does have a pain killer she can take but I think she only takes it before bed. Not sure what it is. Did I ever mention that I HATE THIS DISEASE! :x

My mom took some ibuprophen with her spine mets and that helped a little, but not a whole lot. The good news is that once the radiation starts the pain relief comes pretty quickly.

I don't think heat or ice will help on this one. if she has stronger pain meds, this weekend would be a good time to use them.

Susan

My mom presented with severe back pain a few months ago (I don't think I ever heard her complain about a back ache in her entire life before the cancer). She had a bone scan and it was clear. Like so much about this disease....perplexing. Well, she was given a Fentanyl patch (25 mcg/hr) and things improved (not perfect, but better). And, like your mom, she didn't feel this pain when she was sitting - only when she was lying down.

Bill takes Ibuprofen for his bone pain. I have heard that radiation is very helpful for bone pain. Prayers and hugs for your Mom. Hopefully she'll find something to help with the pain at least until the radiation starts.

Blessings to you and your family.

Back pain is NOT FUN, I have it. If over the counter meds don't work, then have her take her pain meds. No need to be in pain if pain meds do the trick.

I don't think that Ice or Heat will do much of anything but if it were me, I would try all that I could and see what works. Hot baths sometimes make me feel a little better.

Hang in there kiddo, all your love and support will see her through all this. Give her a hug from me and tell her I'm in her corner.

Mom had it in her hip, which was painful when sitting for very long. Like others have said, radiation provided great relief. It seems that otherwise she used over the counter pain relief, like Tylenol (or whichever one she was able to take) to help take the edge off.

Hope she is feeling better very soon!

:) Kelly

sometimes for pain management a Doctor will prescribe a large doe 2x a day and a smaller 2-3 x a day for breakout Pain. Deb had Oxycodone for breakout and Oxycontin 2x a day. Sometimes took advil if nothing else worked.

• 2 weeks later...