One year since being diagnosed...

Hi All. I am new here and would like to introduce myself. Last Aug., just 3 days before my 50th birthday, I was diagnosed with Extensive SCLC Stage IV. It had spread to both my lungs, liver, lymph nodes and bones. Doctors refused to give me any false hope, and during a 2nd opinion appt out-of-stae I was told to go home, gets things in order, and enjoy the days I had left... I would not see another Christmas, the birth of my newest grandson, nor my 51st birthday. Not very encouraging! Well, I must say, I've survived 2 out of 3, and I'm soon to celebrate my next birthday! I believe that I went through every available emotion until finally coming to terms with my given condition. I finally decided to be a "survivor" and not a "victim." That was the day I chose to keep a positive attitute, though some days I fought negativity, but I planned to conquer the biggest fight of my life. Since surgery and radiation was not an option due to its being so wide-spread, my only option was chemo treatments. I've been on these chemo treatments 8 of the 12 months and feel the best that I have in well over a year. I'm not saying that there's not bad days but I cope with them, telling myself tomorrow will be a new day! I continue to cope with back pain due to the cancer eating "holes" in my spine but I refuse to allow it to keep me down. I am now within weeks of my 1 year anniversary of being diagnosed and my next birthday. I recently had another ct-scan and the results were excellent!!! The results revealed that my cancer is limited to a very small area (naked to the human eye) in my liver. Now, I'm planning to do a few more series of chemo and then another scan in Sept. If all goes well, there is a possibility that I will be prescribed a "chemo pill" and no longer need the treatments. I can only wait and pray. Although the cancer is incurible, it's not untreatable. My doctors now tell me that they believe I'm a miracle in the works. My best suggestion to others is to stay positive and keep your faith. Prayers are so very powerful. I have been so blessed!!! In closing, please know that every one of you are in my daily prayers... WE still have our hope and dreams!!!

Grammy welcome to the boards and let me say congrats on all tht great news and WOW!!!! what a great outlook, on beating this disease. You are blessed and if it is prayers and support you seek, YOU just got a whole lot better by finnding us at LCSC.

IF you go to the profile page and I see you have, You can start a treatment profile. we do encourage this to let us know how you are doing and to help guide members who may be seekiing treatment info that has made your treatment successful.

Looking forward to getting to know you more in the future. I am in Greensboro, and we do have several other members around the state, as well as all over te world. Saying prayrs for continued success.

Welcome Grammy,

Your story is so inspirational, it gives hope a whole new meaning. So glad to read about your success. I'm from Mt. Airy, and I see you've "met" Randy from Greensboro. There are many people here who are ready willing and able to help. Ellie

Hi, GrammyJones, I'm so glad you joined us! Your marvelous story will be a great inspiration to others, especially those who arrive here shortly after receiving their own SCLC-ED diagnosis. I personally think the prognosis question is poorly handled by many physicians, even oncologists, who leave the impression that the "x-months" part is custom-designed for the specific person they're talking to rather than an average (or mean or median) of hundreds of people with a similar diagnosis. To your great credit, you took that bit of "information" as a personal challenge -- all too many take it as an irrefutable fact and die on schedule, almost as if under a curse. Can you tell that I feel strongly about this? :roll:

I'll be having my own first anniversary of diagnosis on September 1 -- how time flies when you're having fun! -- and by then will have celebrated my 72nd birthday. Like you, I'm feeling better now than I have in over a year.

To expand on what Randy said about your diagnosis/treatment/etc. profile, after you click on My Profile above, scroll down to the Signature block to enter/update your information. Although there aren't any formatting codes shown there, you can use the same ones displayed above the Post a reply block I'm using now. In fact, you might find it handy to open a reply block in a second window, type your profile info there with any formatting codes you want, use the Preview feature to check your work, then instead of clicking Submit in that window, copy-paste everything back to the Signature block in the first window. Scroll down further, ensure Always attach my signature is marked Yes, and click Submit at the very bottom.

Aloha,

Ned

Welcome-So glad to hear you are feeling good.

My Mom also was DX-Sept/06 with Ext Small Cell-I'm hoping that we can prove these Dr's wrong time and time again!!!

Keep us posted

Dar

Welcome here Grammy. Beautiful grandchildren!!

You certainly have been through so much, but that wonderful attitude of yours is helping you through this and getting results.

You are an inspiration and a breath of fresh air. Please continue to post.

So sorry for the back pain you are going through but so glad you are feeling so much better.

Let us know when its your 1st anniversary and we will celebrate it at Kasey & Freds PUB.

Maryanne :wink: