Rotten results for Harry's scan too......

Nova

Hey sweetie, Got your email and I'm devastaded at the news. I immediatly got on my knees and raised Harry up to the Lord and asked for a healing. I will be out of town tomorrow for a week, but will have internet access. I'll email my new phone number and call if there is anything you need. Love, Liz

THANK YOU! It IS Taxol! Does anyone have any experience with it?

The doctor told us that it isn't as harsh as Cisplatin or Carboplatin, and that Harry shouldn't have the awful side effects with it . (I'm hoping not).

I don't know if it would do any good to get another opinion...?.. Seems like the doctors we have are "trying", and Moffit Cancer Center is one of the top ten in the Country. I doubt I could talk Harry into doing it, but at least it's an option we can try if need be.

Thank you all for writing. It's nice to feel surrounded by friendship.

I appreciate you all,

Nova

I hope the new chemo gets the cancer in check. Keep us posted on how he does. If you are both comfortable that your oncologist is being aggressive and working in Harry's best interest, it makes sense not to put him through a second opinion when he is feeling so lousy. I hope he gets some good days soon.

Rochelle

Nova,

I'm so sorry to hear about Harry, and I do know a little bit about Taxol, Carlton had tried it once during his treatment.

His experience with it wasn't good, he had a very bad allergic reaction and couldn't breathe and ended up in the ER. The strangest thing with it, was that he had taken Taxol in his first treatment and nothing happened. So I know you will be able to find out more. Tell Harry I wish him all the best.

Grace

Thanks everyone.

Grace, the doctor did mention to us that there was a chance of an allergic reaction, so hopefully the chemo clinic won't be too crowded, so the nurse's will be watching Harry closely. I'll be sitting right there with him too, so if I notice anything at all, I'll go running for a nurse.

Chemo medications are so nasty and hateful... :(

You would think with it being the year 2007, they would have thought up an easier way to treat cancer.

Thanks so much for writing.

Nova

Do warn Harry that he will likely lose his hair with the Taxol treatment. :cry:

Have the doctors mentioned or tired Tarceva? It has worked very well for some people here, and it is very gentle (as chemos go) on the body, aside from the rash.

Best wishes that this one works!

~Karen

Thanks,

It's okay about the hair loss, because the Etopocide he got in June rendered him hairless--(once again!)

I almost can't remember what he looks like with his head full of thick blonde hair!

I asked about Tarceva, and they said it was mostly used for non-small cell. (?) I'll bring it up again though, if the Taxol doesn't work!

(I'm getting so bold with doctors. :oops: .. I use to be quiet and let them do all the talking--not anymore though! I ask away!) I always remember what my mom told me to do when I was intimidated by someone... her advice was to imagine them sitting on the "terlet"!! :D:shock: It kind of brings them right down a notch!

Thanks everyone.

my dad has been doin taxol/Carbo combo... the dr's feel that he is having most of his bad reaction to it... and that it is one of the harsher drugs... plus it takes like 3-4 hours to administer it :? ... but we are now taking a break to hopefully rebuild strength

goodluck to you an nova an hopefully no reactions like us!

Nova,

"Terlet" :lol: Good for you! Go get'um girl! If we don't ask the questions and advocate for the guys, who will? (They put their fingers up in a cross sign at the office when they see me comin'. :shock: )

Glad to hear Harry will be starting something. Tony did Taxol with Carboplatin for eight 21-day cycles. He did really well with it, but it was his first chemo regimen. Never needed blood boosters. Giving it in weekly doses will be more gentle on Harry's system, which is what is needed right now. They should give him a "goodie" bag before treatment with benedryl, kytril (anti-nausea drug), and decadron before they infuse. Also they will go very, very slow with the drip to avoid any allergic reaction. We used to spend 6-8 hours for the carbo/taxol infusion.

By the way, I like the word "control." I pray this works and chases the beast back.

God bless you and Harry.

Welthy

Thanks Kaneohegirl and Welthy,

As far as I know, Harry will be getting only Taxol. He didn't do well last time they gave him Carboplatin, so I guess that's been scratched off of his list of "can do's".

Remember Archie Bunker? (With "Meathead", Edith and Gloria?) :) (Can't remember the name of the show).. That's where Mom got the "terlet" business from... It still cracks me up to hear her say it!

Thanks. Hope you both have a VERY good day.

Nova,

Oh, I know it is only Taxol -- just letting you know that Taxol as a single agent should be fairly gentle on Harry. (Tony no longer can do carboplatin either. Bad reaction.) It's hard to sort out which drug caused which side effects. I think the carbo was the worst offender though, so Harry should be good to go.

"All in the Family" was the show. Gosh, I didn't remember "terlet" from Archie!! :lol:

Welthy

Oh Nova,

I am so sorry to read this post. I can't believe it. I had such a good feeling when I was reading your posts, and I thought all would work out. I will most certainly say a prayer, as there must be some door opened by God in this situation.

Blessings,

Jen