HAVE QUESTIONS - NEED ADVICE

RAY A

I just got back from my CT scan ( chest and abdomen w/ contrast) the problem was they couldn’t get a vein. She tried three times so they decided to do it with out the contrast.

First question, will with out contrast show less info then with contrast? Will my onoc get to see what he wants to see? The girl that did the scan told me it’s not much of a difference. My next question is, I hear a lot about the port, I have been trying to stay away from it because I always had real good veins and now I am almost done with chemo (2 more cycles, maybe) but lately, even at chemo they have to work to get a vein. Why would my veins be collapsing? Am I dehydrating? I hear good things and bad things about the port. What does it involve to get it? Is it temporary? Tomorrow I go for my MRI of the head to see if I get to join the empty head club. That is also with contrast. The girl that did the CT scan said that were I get my MRI were nurses and they should be able to get a vein. These next two weeks are gonna put me over the edge. My head has been feeling great up to last week. Now this past week I have been tired and have head achs.

Maybe they are from nerves.

Thanks for listening

I pray for everyone here everyday!!!!

Ray, this might seem weird, but when my 2 year old was in the hospital with a kidney infection, they could not get a vein in either of her arms-as she was so small. Now, bear with me here, the doctor ended up putting the iv into a vein in her foot. It didn't hurt her, and it was very easy for them to access it. Maybe you could ask about that, just for the tests. Just for the peace of mind in knowing that you were able to get the scan with contrast-which, as I understand-is a higher definition picture, but I'm not sure as to HOW MUCH HIGHER. (maybe just a bit-I'm not sure).

My dad had his port put in two weeks ago, and he is kicking himself for not having done it sooner (even though finding a vein on him wasn't difficult,) He said that the port is much more comfortable. I think that your veins are collapsing mostly because of how much they need to be poked and prodded. I think the nurse also mentioned that the chemo itself, after a while, makes the veins collapse when being used. She may have mentioned dehydration, as well, although I can't remember.

Also, with regard to the brain mets, when my dad was diagnosed with them last December, he asked the doctor why he didn't have a headache from them-you would think that would be a sure symptom. The doctor said that headaches are really rare with brain mets.

But, if you are dehydrated, that can ABSOLUTLY cause headaches-it happens to me ALL THE TIME. It also makes you tired. Not to mention the nerves thing.

Well, I hope this was of some help to you, Ray. I would ask the onc. regarding the w/o contrast thing.

Take care, Ray, and I'm putting in some prayers for good results of the CT and MRI. Deb

Hi Ray,

I can speak only to the contrast. Where I am treated, they don't use dye at all for scans. They have a study going on (for last 3 months) whereby they are comparing previous scans done with dye as opposed to scans without. It seems that they are concerned that scans done WITH dye cloud the image. So there u go, for what's it worth.

Good luck Ray and God Bless..

Guest Piermarie

Ray,

I'm a catscan tech and I agree that the scans are more detailed with contrast but for follow up scans as in your case, they will be fine with no contrast. Your veins are getting beat up with the chemo more than anything else and that was an issue when my mother was first diagnosed. I told her that she should definitely get a port put in and I think she is glad she did. She still has them inject her vein for her scans and for bloodwork and she does fine with that so far.

Praying for great results for you!!!!

Hi Ray,

I had great veins, until chemo... and then they had problems getting the iv catheter in that's needed for contrast.

You can get one put in I believe as an outpatient surgery.

I still have mine, I get blood drawn from it at the oncologists so I don't have to go downstairs to the lab the insurance company cooperates with. Its as temporary as you want it to be, I guess, makes chemo and other stuff lots easier.

Why do I still have mine?

two reasons.

One -- I believe in Murphy's law.

Two -- I am in no hurry to volunteer for any more surgery, outpatient optional or otherwise.

I would advise you to go ahead and get the port, Ray. I think you'll be glad you did.

I have mine in my chest, right side, just under the collarbone. I have seen some elderly people with them in their arms, but I would advise against that just as far as comfort goes.

Warmly,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Ray,

Having a port makes the life of the patient much easier. I had one for my chemo treatments and was so glad that I did. Unfortunately, I developed an infection and they had to remove it, but I don't think that happens all that often (I just got lucky I guess). Takes about a total of 2 hours in outpatient for the in and for the out...I got up off the table in the operating room and walked out to find my driver.

My understanding on contrast was that it made it much easier to read the scans. They always use contrast on my scans (every 4 weeks) and actually it would be a whole lot easier if they didn't. I hate getting rid of that stuff from my system. I'm hoping this all goes easily for you.

Peace,

Margaret

Ray,

I think OKDebi does all of her scans w/o dye - at least, I THOUGHT I read that in one of her posts. I also read that she's out of town, possibly staying at the Bates Motel....not sure when she gets back.

I have vein problems and asked about using the ones in my feet (they are VERY visible and really working) - the tech told me no way and continued for another three pokes to try to find a vein - and THEN went to find an RN. The excess poking was pretty brave of the tech, as my "cheerleader" goes with me for ALL needles and doesn't like to see me hurt...and he's just a "little guy" at 6'3" and 200+ pounds... The tech was lucky to not get pounded that day! :wink:

Looks like your online support staff is leaning toward a port...or listing toward port?

Good luck!

Becky

please get the port, it will make your life so much easier. My mom tried to fight getting the port until they stuck her seven times and still did not find a vein. now she has the port and said if she ever got dx again she would get the port first. it is a quick in and out procedure. no pain whatso ever. no matter what you do eventually your veins will give out. it is also a good thing to have because in case of a real emergency it is a guaranteed and easy way to get iv in. good luck with the scans. i pray for everybody.

I don't think excess poking means the tech was "brave" - it means she should have gotten the RN a lot sooner!

Foot veins are rarely used because the risk of blood clots is higher. However, normally that would be of less concern with a short-term line used to inject contrast only. The problem is that many people with cancer are prone to blood clots as it is, & you don't want to invite trouble. Permission to use the foot would have to come from the radiologist (MD), but you can certainly ask about it. If the tech. fails on the 2nd try, insist on having the RN give it a shot. There is no reason to endure unnecessary sticks. You get plenty of pokes as it is!

Contrast CTs are easier to interpret. And if all your past CTs have only been done that way, comparison may be difficult. The tech. may have already asked the radiologist whether to keep trying for an IV or to go with the non-contrast study. The radiologist, obviously, is the best judge of whether a non-contrast study will suffice.

Ray,

My 2 cents:

1. Earl just go port last fri - it was a no brainer.

2. Earl has no veins - looked like a curad ad anytime he needed to get scan or MRI. We were told you can not use the port to put in the dye - something about it has to be pumped in. What Earl did not do until he had been stuck toooooooo many times, was request the IV nurse - not a regular nurse - an IV NURSE. They always got it the first time and in some very strange places. Next scan I will go in with him and I will sit on him until they get the IV nurse.

Go for the port.

Good luck with your scans, it is time for some good news from NJ.

Ginny

Just want to second what Ginny said. Those IV therapy nurses are AWESOME!

And Ray, you might be a bit dehydrated, but chemo is really tough on your veins, and that is probably the reason they can't find one anymore.

Here's a simple little "test" to see if you are well-hydrated: look at the color of your urine the first time you go in the morning. If it's bright yellow or amber, you're probably dehydrated. (Although some medications can alter the color of urine.) The first morning urine should be "straw" or pale yellow in color if you are well-hydrated. Easy, huh?

Hi Ray,

My Mother has had a port for some time now and it has been a blessing! However, when they do need to access a vein the may want to put a blood pressure cuff on you and tighten it -- also warming the area seems to help considerably. These two together work well for her and she is veinless. They poked her 8 times just to get her IV in for her port procedure. Her port has been wonderful as she became very allergic to the adhesives used on her Picc Lines (she had one in each arm) prior to the aahaaa moment of let's try a port! Everyone is different but this has been our experience. Thinking of you and hope you are well.

Take Care,

Botley