Still very tired

barbara5452

For those of you who had chemo along with radiation, how long did it take to start feeling better and having more engery ? My last treatment was 05-25-07. Although I had a set back with pneumonia bi-lateral. Still trying to get over that cough. I am so tired of being tired. Doc says I am still a little anemic so I know it all will take time, but its just not quick enough for me. 2007 has be he.. and getting ready to start August feeling like crap. Any tips on getting my engery back would be appreciated. This is getting very depressing. Thanks

Hey, it's been only 2 months since you finished tx AND you had pneumonia thrown in there too!!!!! Add to that mix, you are still a 'little' anemic :? . I think you are doing pretty darn good there, girl. Give yourself a break!!!!! I understand that you are TIRED of being TIRED, but in the BIG picture, just give yourself some more time.

I had chemo and rad, BUT it was decreased chemo while I was doing the radiation and it kicked MY butt, so try to relax a bit. I'm rooting for you, Barbara. Take it easy and just pamper yourself for a little while longer. Hope you start feeing better soon though.

Kasey

I had decreased chemo concurrent with radiation before my surgery. I found it helped me alot to just get up, get dressed and do something no matter how small. Like a walk in the back yard, or a trip to the grocery store. It helps to just move to a different surrounding even just for a little while. Hope this helps. Take care.

Carol

Barbara - my mom has not had any treatments for the past year, but she did recently have a bout of pnemonia. She was concerned that it was taking her so long to get better so she went back to the doc and then she was told to expect this to knock her off her feet for at least 6-8 weeks. So if you have double pnemonia on top of chemo/radiation and being a bit anemic I'm sure you have been feeling a bit run down. Just give it some more time and take care of yourself in the meantime.

Karen

Tired hangs on a long time for most of us. Not uncommon. It's only been 2+ months for you, and that's really a short time when you think of all you've been through.

Keep and eye on it and let you doctor know of any chages. Your blood might be low too, but always make mention of things to your doctor.

REST when you feel tired. That really is so important to do. Don't push it to hard. A little push is fine, but only make it a little push.

I was tired for several months after my treatments. TIME is for the most part, what it takes to get back to the NEW NORM!

((((((BARB))))))

I went through a similar treatment regime and it was 4 to 5 months before my RBC returned completely to the normal range. I asked my doctor why it took so long and he said it was not at all unusual to be anemic for several months after treatment completes. He said I should not underestimate the toll treatment had taken on my body and to just let the healing process happen.

It does sound like you are doing pretty good. It was about 2 months after treatment completed before my esophagus had even healed enough to eat regular food again.