Pleurodesis information

karlakay

My husband is scheduled for a pleurodesis next week and was wanting info from anyone who's had it done to give me the scoop. He has had fluid drained 3 times in the last 2 1/2 months so they are wanting to do something more permanent. Any info someone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Karla,

No info from me. I'm wondering how you got him to have the procedure done. My husband refuses to do it. None of his effusion has been malignant, but I don't think that matters regarding the pleurodesis. I know there is information about it on Dr. West's website at http://www.onctalk.com/bbPress/. Just punch in "effusion" into the search box.

Good luck to your husband on the procedure.

Welthy

My dad is 82 and has been diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma. He has had over 2 liters of fluid drained from his lung and it began building up again.

He had a pleuradesis and biopsy surgery three weeks ago. He did fine and so far, the fluid has not returned. He is still in pain from the procedure due to the fact that they also did a thoroscope and had to go between his ribs to do it. I think his ribs are bruised, but luckily, he won't have to deal with the fluid anymore, I hope. From what I had read before his surgery, the procedure is not real risky and the success rate is about 85%. I wish you all the best.