Hair Loss

Shelley (MLC)

Hi everyone. My mom's hair has started to fall out with her new chemo. (taxotere) She tells me that her scalp "hurts" in the area the hair is falling out. She has started wearing a wig and is planning to have her remaining hair cut/shaved off this week. I assume this will take care of the scalp pain...does this usually occur with hair loss? Thanks! Shelley

PS...any wig wearing hints appreciated. We are taking her on a cruise next week and she wants to wear the wig, but I have heard that they can be pretty hot and uncomfortable.

Shelley,

Mom's scalp was tender when her hair was falling out. Someone told her to put conditioner on her scalp to keep it from getting dry and that helped. After the hair fell out her scalp was much less tender.

And she complains about how hot her wig is all the time! As soon as she comes into the house she takes it off. Out in the yard she will wear a hat, but if she goes anywhere she insists on the wig rather than a scarf or hat. It was a shock when I saw her completely bald for the first time, but then you get used to it.

Psychologically she has had a harder time with the hair loss than with the physical aspects of her treatment. Of course she didn't lose her sense of humor. If my hair got messed up she'd tell me, :If I had hair, I'd comb it!" Or if someone complemented her on her hair she'll say "Thanks, I'll let you wear it sometime!"

I hope getting her hair shaved will help with the tenderness in your mom's scalp.

Susan

My scalp also hurt when my hair was falling out. I found that I couldn't tolerate the heat wearing a wig created, so I opted for a half-wig and a baseball cap. I bought quite a few caps from a company called headcovers.com and was very happy with them -- they're designed for chemo patients.

The good news -- hair grows back! I've got short, curly hair for the first time in my life and I'm really enjoying it.

Good luck to your mom. I hope treatment goes very well for her.

Trish

I had no problems when my hair fell out..

As far as the wig, I bought a nice one and

didn't even wear it once, too hot and uncomfortable so

I went out and got scarves and hats, when it was about an inch long again I just went without, I see more and more women doing that now days

Thanks for all the responses...I don't think mom is willing to go outside the house without the wig yet, but she may change her mind. I did buy her several hats and a couple scarves that she wears in the yard and around the house. She has been more upset by her hair loss than she has ever been about her cancer diagnosis. I'm sure this is because she has felt so well since starting treatment. The hair loss is the first "real" sign to her that there is something wrong, and to a great extent, out of her control. Shelley

Shelley,

Yes her head will be tender to the touch as her hair is falling out. I found that after it is all gone then my head felt better. I found that my eye lashes and brows were harder for me to lose. I just look plain funny in the mirror. I found that it does grow back sooner than I thought it would so tell her she might not be bald for long. That should make her feel a little better. I tell people it is good luck to rub my bald head and it really gets people to laugh with me instead of at me.

Sherry

My scalp was sore when my hair started to fall out as well. Not bad, just some discomfort. I also got some pimple like red spots on my scalp for about a week and they caused discomfort as well, but all of it went away within a week or so after my hair stated to fall out. I think it's all part of it.

I only wore a wig when I went out. Hat's or scarves worked better for me. Much more comfy. The Amercian Cancer Society use to offer hats, scarves, and wigs free. Otherwise, there is a post under LC Survivors (Sticky) that tells where to get wigs.

The first wig I bought I paid $138.00 for it, and that was 12 years ago. I found that the Paul Young wigs were just as good and better then the $138.00 wig I bought. I also got a one at ACS and it was very comfy.

Shelley,

I took my wigs to a hair stylist and had her cut and style them for me. This made a big difference in how they looked on me. They really look more like my natural hair and not wigs. I also was told to put anti-perspirant on my head to help with the sweating. It does help somewhat. Having said all that I only wear my wigs if I'm going somewhere, I usually go au natural around the house or just wear a scarf to run errands. This is the second time that I have lost my hair. I think it is easier this time. I'm just waiting to finish my chemo, so it will start to grow back. As someone mentioned earlier losing my eyebrows and eyelashes are more of a problem for me. Makeup can help somewhat, but again I only do that when I go out, around the house I just "let it all hang out". I would suggest that your mom buy some pretty scarves to wear (especially during the day) on the cruise as they are much more comfortable, and save the wigs for special evenings as they can be hot and uncomfortable. Have fun on the cruise!

God Bless,

Sharon

Thanks again everyone.. My mom ordered her wigs from Paula Young (amazingly inexpensive) and was pretty happy with the first one she received. A friend that had been through chemo recommended she bring it to her hair dresser for trimming. She is pretty comfortable with styling it each day, but I definitely have concerns that it may not stay on her head on the windy deck of the ship! I think I'll encourage her to bring along a couple of her scarves just in case.

As far a eyebrows and lashes, will they start to fall out soon? As of today, she hasn't noticed any loss in those areas.

You guys are all so great! I appreciate your help. Shelley

By now you know the wigs are adjustable, she can tighten to a little uncomfortable level when going out in the wind? Plus the two way tape of course. I don't know, it's always hard and all women have their own feelings about how the need to look to feel comfortable.

Definitely bring those scarves, your mother will probably notice a lot of women wearing them on a windy ship deck

It was very hard for me to lose my eye brows and lashes, I've never left the house without my eye make up so was very upset not to wear mascara. Kind of weird, I know... :?

They will be falling out any time and will take longer to come back. Mine never did come in as full or long but that could be age related since they thin out in middle age any way.

She can buy an eyebrow pencil and pencil them in, it's better than nothing.

On a positive note, I shave my legs every two weeks compared to every day prior to chemo :)

Mom started her chemo in February and her hair began falling out two weeks later. When I saw her Easter weekend (First of April) she still had eyelashes and eyebrows, but they were gone when I saw her in late May. She used eyebrow pencil to draw them on and unless you looked closely you couldn't tell they were any different.

Mom and Dad are going on a dinner cruse tonight. I'll let you know if she has any problems with her wig and the wind. She hasn't had chemo since May 2, so she now has about a 1/2 inch of new hair on her head, otherwise she would try Sharon's anti-persperant tip.

This was very hard for my mom too. She would tell me that she would look in the mirror and cry because she didn't look like herself anymore. That's the most helpless I've felt. I can help her with questions to ask the doctor or give her pep talks when she is scared, but there isn't anything I can do to help her feel like the self she was before the cancer. I hope the cruise will give your mom something fun to focus on and maybe that will help.

Susan

Hi

My mum had a really sore head when her hair was falling out. It was covered in red spots which itched her terribly but hurt when she scratched! They disappeared but did pop back again occasionally. Her nurse gave her some aqueous cream to rub in which soothed her head.

Mum has a lovely adjustable wig which looks great but she HATES it !! It is summer and she gets so hot & irritated she flings it off when she gets back indoors. She loves her scarves though and I bought her a few different designs.

She has not lost her eyelashes or eyebrows yet but they have thinned out.

God bless

Debbie

x

Like everything everyone is different when it comes to hair loss.

I never lost my eyebrows but they did thin a little but not much. I never lost one eye lash, I lost most of my pubic hair, and 90% of my underarm hair, but I NEVER LOST ONE LEG HAIR. I still had to shave! :shock::x

• 2 weeks later...

Shelley,

My scalp hurt alot when my hair fell out. In fact where it hurt at night is where it would come out in clumps the next day. My Eyebrows and Eyelashes also fell out. Eyelashes are easy to draw with the right tools. I bought a powder, brush and a stay on glue to insure I didn't wipe them off by mistake from the MAC counter at Macy's. The girls there were very helpful as they said they had alot of customers going through chemo.

I bought a Raquel Welch synthetic wig and had it trimmed slightly. I wear it only to work because I don't want clients to ask questions. But as soon as I leave work I take it off. I bought two nice headwraps (like bandanas with a tie) at headcovers.com for $15.00 each. they stay on really well, even in the ocean at the beach. My mom has just copied and made me two more. I hate my wig as much as others say I look nice, it is not me and not natural but I do what I have to do and deal with it.

Your mom will get used to it. It itches sometimes but more in the beginning until you are used to the feel.

Lilly